Frozen Screen

BBGLASAIR

Hi all,  My Skyview S/N 1862, and back-up battery was installed 7th Dec 2010, and has done 47 trouble free hours to date. However, today, in flight, the screen froze, and I could not un-freeze it, no matter which buttons I pressed. In my Glasair, I have a dedicated line direct from the battery through a C/B switch, to Skyview, so I was able to disconnect ship's power from SView. The screen remained frozen, and so I assume it was running on back-up battery power.   
After landing, the frozen screen remained for about 20mins, until it eventually vanished. After disconnecting & removing the back-up battery, SV operated as normal on ship's power & I went flying again with no issues.
I measured the output on the bench of SV-BAT-320 at 10.5 v.
Is that voltage enough to run SView?  Do I have a faulty battery?
I am running v.3.3 , with audio out & AOA, with no other issues.
Any assistance appreciated.  I note SV-BAT-320 issues a few months back with other owners.
Thanks    BrianB

preid

This happened to me once as well. The screen frooze, but with the VP-200 I was able to power it off. It would not boot up to a working screen again during the flight. I ended up having to do 1-2-5 on the ground, as it was booting up, before it would boot up successfully.
Had no issues since.
I doubt any of this has anything to do with 3.3, but in my case everything ran flawlessly before 3.3 and between having to rerun mag calibrations and other issues that developed, it all started after I installed 3.3.
Strange but true!

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We're looking into this right now, and it's carrying the highest possible priority here. We'll have an update shortly.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Update on this: There's a bug, and we've rolled out a point release to fix it. Details here. Thanks for reporting this.

preid

Re: Frozen Screen link

Looks like the link on the page is still pointing to the 3.3.1.
Here is the link to the update
http://www.dynonavionics.com/downloads/Software/SkyView-3.3.2-dynon_update.dup

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
I think your web browser is just using a cached page. It looks fine from a few computers on our end.

flyingboy

Brian, I just loaded the 3.3.2 to my USB stick from the Dynon site. You should be able to refresh your PC and get the latest version. If you have any issue call in tomorow and use mine. Cheers Hugh

cmarbach

This has always been my biggest worry: That a new release will have a bug that renders the unit unusable. That's why I would love to be able to keep my second screen one release behind the main screen- any chance that you could make that work?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The complexity that such a capability would add in the communications mechanisms between dissimilar software versions makes this unlikely. You'd have to keep the displays disconnected from each other (each with their own ADAHRS), or, you could use a different unit like a D6 for a completely separate backup. Lots of IFR guys that want completely independent systems go that route, for what it's worth.

flyboy884

Hello
Flying today I experienced the frozen screen for the third time. I've downloaded the fix but a lttle worried because I also had a transponder X on one screen during the process. In my case I was able to 1,2&5 reboot on the right screen but then the left screen froze. 1,2&5 reboot left and all functions returned. Is the trans fail part of the bug/fix ? How can it fail on one screen only in a netwoak config.? Thanks for the quick fix

BBGLASAIR

Re: Transponder

If I mount my SV transponder on top of my radio COM tray, am I running the risk of RF interference?  Anybody got any issues with this?  Thks  BrianB

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The transponder is a serial device, not on the "SkyView Network". As the installation guide mentions, it has to be connected to serial ports on both displays in parallel, and both displays' serial ports need to be setup the same way as well. If you only have it connected to a serial port on one display, at times it will "X" out, when the non-connected display is trying to communicate with it. Is this perhaps what you're seeing?

Bruno

Hi Support
        So I'm clear on this

''In my case I was able to 1,2&5 reboot''

Those are the keys we need to push at the same time to reboot the system, right ??? :-?

Read that somewhere.....??

Thanks

Bruno

mmarien

Murray M.
Keys that I know of:

1: hold to turn SV on or off
2&7: screen shot (if USB stick is present)
7&8: enter setup menus
1&2&5: soft (or warm) reboot - as opposed to shutting down and starting up again.

Bruno

Hi Guys

Thanks for the clarification,that's what I thought.. :)

Cheers

Bruno