Future Requirements

DjAg5dosk2

Hi folks I am new to the Dynon forum. I am impressed by your new generation gear. I currently own an F1 Rocket with BMA EFIS 1 Gen 2. The gold box is now obsolete, thus if a motherboard fails I have to pony up 10K for an equivalent capability after a 5K trade in credit.

My question to Dyon employees: Can I nurse my system another year + and come in under that 10K figure with sensors and withOUT autopilot servos with your new system? Is 5-8K more reasonable neighborhood?  I am planning ahead not trying to play "pricing gotcha!"

Most important to other forum users: Has your support experience from Dynon been a positive one? Thank you in advance!

VR
Howard Rhodes

PhantomPholly

Howard:

1. Welcome to the forum!
2. Dynon Rocks!
3. You should be able to re-use most (if not all) of your engine sensors
4. However, if you had the Blue Mountain autopilot you won't be able to re-use your servos

Only Dynon can speak to pricing vs. features, but I suspect you will be very happy with a Dynon solution.

DjAg5dosk2

I don't plan on installing an Autopilot. The airplane has been flying for 4 years and my GA work doesn't include the need for it.

If the new generation large screen is all it appears to be it will capture a large portion of the experimental market. Pricing will be a key element, if it is attractive then the sky is the limit.

Large product demand feeds large customer "after the sale" needs thus I am very curious as to the general dynon service post sale experience.

VR
Howard Rhodes

Ken_Kopp

Howard - I have several Dynon products installed in my BD-4. I have the EFIS D10A, EMS-D10, EDC-D10, HS34 and AP74 as well as all their sensors. I've had most of them for several years.

1. Extremely High Quality
2. Extremely Competitive Pricing
3. Exceptional Customer Service
4. Expandable Capabilities

Ken

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Howard,
If you look around, you'll see Dynon is basically always the price leader in this market.

We expect to maintain this situation with the next generation system. But we don't have actual prices yet (we really don't, not even internally). I can say that one screen that is an EFIS, EMS, and map will be less than 8K though. So I think your budget will remain fully intact.

We do our very best to be leaders in support as well, and based on what some of our customers have said, it looks like we do a pretty good job at it. We've sold more EFIS units than any other experimental company, and it's for good reason. We price them right and support them for a very long time.

DjAg5dosk2

Certainly good feedback and really a breakthrough with your new product. I will tell you based on what I have heard from OSH and this limited forum exposure it is worth it to baby my current EFIS and move to yours.

I hate to change as I have enjoyed my BMA EFIS 1, but 10K just to replace what I have with the same thing is not wise.

The only advice I can offer is to have enough units in the pipeline to feed demand when you launch. Support it well, debug it prior to introduction and you will have a new customer.......me.

VR
Howard

Mel

Howard,
I had one of the early D10 units. I had some problems. Very minor. I was always taken care of promptly even to the point of being given home phone numbers if I had further problems. When I converted to the D10A, I intended to ask if I would get a new warranty. Then I thought, Hey, no one has ever asked if my unit was in warranty before. They just take care of me. Support service? You bet!

mrbizi

For future requirements of the new system...
I'd like to see... all as modules that are built-in so as not to take up more panel space... and MUCH simpler avionics installation....
AP (3 axis)
FADEC
Something similar to http://www.steinair.com/verticalpower.htm
GPS Map integration w/ XM Weather
Transponder w/ traffic to feed Moving Map
Audio Panel w/ XM Radio & iPod & cell phone inputs (for getting clearances while on the ground, etc.)
Radios

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
I'd like to see... all as modules that are built-in so as not to take up more panel space... and MUCH simpler avionics installation....

We've always thought that putting everything in the box makes things a touch harder, since you need depth. That's one of our current line's limitations. If you have thin, compact screens, with modules that can be mounted where ever behind the panel/other locations (depending on the module), then you gain some flexibility.

nvbGEgHyIqj

I am a new member but I see Howard R. is asking questions. I am also an F1 Rocket builder and flyer. I have the Dynon D10 in my F1
(I think one of the first few shipped) and I am very happy with it. Because of the untested nature I backed the D10 up with an Electric turn Coor and Altimeter and Airspeed steam gauges. I am day/night VFR with a AFS 2500 Engine Monitor and a Garmin 196 for navigation. I am currently building an RV 10 with the schedule for first flight May 2009.
My plan was to go with the Dynon EFIS (no back up Steam Gauges) and Engine monitor with a 496 with weather for navigation. I do not have AP in my F1 and do not want it in the RV10. My needs have not changed but your product line has/will change. Considering the time line for the RV 10, what sugestions would you have? Should I just order the EFIS and Engine monitor or should I wait?  Am I correct in understanding that your GPS will be similiar to the 496 but with a bigger screen. For those of us ageing fellows this would be a good thing! thanks. Wayne

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Ultimately, our next generation's GPS capability will approach the popular models already out there, but some of the more "advanced" capabilities like weather will come online later.

In general, it's hard to give you specific advice unfortunately. Other than "next year", we don't have a name, specific date, or a price yet determined for the next generation. Keep in mind that capabilities will come in yet unscheduled phases, so it's really impossible hard to say when our next generation will be able to truly replace every capability in your proposed configuration.

Our general advice remains the same though: Don't buy your avionics before you're REALLY ready for them, and realize that when you do finally pull the trigger, there will always be a future product or capability that you wish you would've waited for.

And as you may have read, we will have a trade-in program if you start with our current line and decide to move to the next generation some day down the road. Details of that program have yet to be determined, but trade-in credit on instruments will probably be somewhere on the order of 50%.