Garmin 327 Mode S transponer

Don

Ok guys, I made a mistake. I am installing a Garmin 330 Mode S transponder. What I really would like to know is how to wire it up to my SKYVIEW system so that in the future when the software permits it will automatically show the traffic around me.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Don

I am installing a Garmin 327 Mode S transponder in my airplane with two Skyviews.  I understand that today the Skyviews can not display airplanes that are in my proximity, but that a future upgrade is likely.

Question:  How do I wire up the 327 to the Skyview so that when the software upgrade occurs, the Skyview will display the other aircraft properly?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
What you need is a transponder with TIS, not just mode S. Only the 330 has TIS. Of course, you can sell that 327 and buy our transponder for the same price ;)

vlittle

What you need is a transponder with TIS, not just mode S. Only the 330 has TIS. Of course, you can sell that 327 and buy our transponder for the same price ;)

The big picture, however, is that a UAT (Universal Access Transceiver) will provide ADS-B out, in-cockpit TIS-B traffic and FIS-B weather.

Garmin (and Dynon) transponders do not provide all of this capability.  While meeting the requirement for ADS-B out, the provided TIS capability (not the same as TIS-B) will eventually be decommissioned when full ADS-B is turned on. No weather information is provided.

If a UAT is purchased instead of a mode S transponder, then all of the requirements for ADS-B out, plus the benefits of traffic and weather are obtained.  Such a unit is made by Navworx.  Thus, a Navworx UAT and a mode C transponder will provide everything required.

As an observation, the Navworx UAT looks like it can be tightly integrated with Dynon Skyview systems with a bit of software as a client on the DSAB.  Hint, hint!

Note: The mode S capability can still be used even if equipped with a UAT.

Vern

preid

According to the Navworx site future Skyview intergration is pending the ARINC 429 converter module to include weather and traffic.

So to integrate ADS for the Skyview one needs to buy a couple of extra items.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
That is not correct. We'll ask them to change that. All you need to do is hook a serial wire up to SkyView to get traffic from the NavWorx box. This will be true when we get weather from them as well.

vlittle

Good! I assume that you will use the Navworx MFD serial links. That's what I'll assume for my schematics.

I hope Dynon works closely with Navworx. It would be nice to see tighter integration. For example the Navworx devices have a maintenance port that can be driven by a SV if enough serial ports are available.

Vern

N707RW

Don,

I am one of the testers and am currently using the Garmin 330 with the skyview.  Incidentally, it works great and you will be very happy with the traffic presentation on skyview.

In answer to your question, you will hook up the 330 RS-232 output directly to an available serial input on skyview.  It's only one wire.  The serial output of the 330 is on pin 23.  If you already have pin 23 sending data to something else, you just piggyback on the same pin (a serial output can feed many devices).

You will need to configure the serial port on skyview for the GTX330 but that's a simple menu-driven action.

Hope that's helpful,

Rich

rhunt

Will I still need a transponder, either mode c or modes along with the Navworx bos to display traffic on screen?  Will a mode s transponder alone display traffic?  Is the real utility of the Navworx bos the availability of weather(assuming I already have a mode s transponder)?

These things confuse me   ;)

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Assuming you are in the USA:

You must have a transponder.

If you have a mode-S transponder with ADS-B out, you will not need anything else in the plane after 2020, but you will need to have a certified WAAS GPS.

If you have a mode-C transponder, in 2020 you will need to either upgrade to a mode-S with ADS-B out, or purchase an ADS-B UAT like the navworx one. This will also require a certified WAAS GPS.

A mode-s transponder alone will display TIS traffic, which is in all class B and most class C airspaces. It will not display traffic everywhere, and where it displays traffic may shrink over time as the FAA changes radar systems.

Something like the navworx box will eventually display traffic everywhere once the FAA has all the ADS-B ground stations on-line, which is supposed to be in 2013.

An ADS-B UAT should also allow you to get free weather across the USA.

RussB

A question for N707RW. What/where did you wire the TIS connect select line (pin 46 on the 330)? Did you leave it unconnected, connect it to a switch or is there a line on the Skyview it needs to connect to?

Thank you

Russ :)

N707RW

Russ,

I did not connect the TIS connect select line at all. My transponder always searches for TIS and logs on. I think that function may be used outside the US, not sure about that, but the transponder definitely works beautifully here in the US without that wire connected.

You don't need to do anything with that wire to get it to log on.

-- Rich