GI 275 Standby Flight Display ?

atomsite

In the latest HDX installation manual the D10a has been changed to Standby Flight Display. (Although the D10a is still shown in the manual in various locations.) Is the GI 275 (ADAHRS w/AP, -20) an acceptable standby flight display?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
If you look at the Standby Flight Display chapter, it refers you to the EFIS-D10A manual only.

To be crystal clear: the EFIS-D10A is the only approved/acceptable standby flight display at this time.

atomsite

That’s a shame. I want to use a GI 275 to drive my Century Autopilot. It seems like it would make a fine standby flight display. Installing a D10A would take up valuable panel space in my case.

aggiepack

Before you blame Dynon, you better take a closer look on Garmin's way more questionable stategy e.g. you may not use an Avidyne GPS to feed the GFC500 etc. Or ask Garmin about their opinion to combine their G3X with a Dynon/ Sandel/AV standby instrument.

WorkingWarbirds

I'm not sure the FAA would even accept this if tried to subsitute via field approval. I think due to the nature of the approval basis of the Dynon, no substitutions are allowed. That said, I THINK (educated guess here) that Dynon is working on a new generation of "Standby" intrument to replace the D10A since it is EOL in their experimental lineup. It's probably the weakest link in the system at the moment.

Rhino

Even if Dynon develops a new standby display, it would probably take the FAA twenty years to approve it.

mrbizi

Even if Dynon develops a new standby display, it would probably take the FAA twenty years to approve it.
would it take 20 years if the internals were identical to the 7" display behind panel but just with smaller screen on pilot side of panel?

Rhino

I learned long ago to not try guessing what the FAA might do.