GPS signal switching.

fpullanojr

I have three different GPS units in the plane. A panel mount, an Anywhere map and of course the Dynon. I have used a switch in the past to select my GPS source to feed my D10A and my Auto Pilot. I want to add the Garmin GPS to the mix. In looking at the pinouts, I'm not sure which serial connection to use. The TX or the RX?

I'm just not sure if the TX is saying, Transmitting TO the GPS or the GPS is Transmitting TO the Skyview.

Thanks.

fpullanojr

I had a day long arm wrestling match with this issue yesterday, very frustrating to be sure.

I was able to get the AUX (Anywhere Map) to send data to the Trio Autopilot but was never able to get the AUX unit to talk to the Skyview. Also, the Skyview doesn't seem to want to send data to the Auto pilot.

1. Does Skyview allow for a GPS input from a source other than the Dynon GPS unit.

2. If so, how would it be connected? Which Pin? Any format change required in the Skyview?

3. Does Skyview send GPS data out to an external Autopilot. (I have the Trio EZ Pilot)

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
1) Yes, we can take any GPS that outputs NMEA or Aviation format, assuming it outputs the sentences we need (RMC and GGA). You need to ask Anywhere map if they put out these sentences.

2) You can hook it to any of the serial RX pins (see page 4-7 of the install manual). Once you do this, you need to go into serial setup on the screen, and choose the right speed for the anywhere map output (likely 4800 or 9600). You also need to set the input format to generic NMEA. Finally, you need to make sure that the serial port you hooked to is set to the function of "GPS 1" and that NO OTHER ports are set to GPS 1.

3) Not yet. We aren't a "GPS" since we don't have a database. You can't tell us "fly to KPDX", so there is nothing for us to output to an autopilot. As you'll see, there is no "NMEA" or "autopilot" in the Serial out function list, just altitude encoders.