GPS

Rob

I am installing a sky view system with gps I also am putting in a garmin196 with a/p which gps does the sky view use for nav mode
Cheers rob

ckurz7000

I love flying!
The SkyView uses its own external GPS module which you have to order along with the rest of the system. As far as I know you can't connect an external GPS to the SkyView.

-- Chris.

dabear

You can connect a 396, 496 to the SV as an another navigation device via serial

For a while I had a 496 and the SV GPS connected but after almost 3 years of us I took out the 496 and just use the SV GPS.

Rob

Thanks for reply I have the SV-GPS module with the moving map data .I was thinking of connecting the196 Garmin to the Skyview as a backup for Nav mode should there be a problem with SV-GPS. But it would appear that the 196 will not talk to the Skyview
Rob

dabear

just so I didn't mess up, I don't know if the SV supports the Garmin 196, it may. I was just saying I used the 396 and then 496.

I couldn't find a chart listing compatible devices but I'm sure one is out somewhere. Also, I'm sure Dynon support will come by this thread soon with an answer.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
The 196 should talk to SkyView just fine with its NMEA output. I'm not sure we have any confirmed 196-SkyView connections, but the 296 on up are all known to work. I believe the data outputs are the same. Now, just to be clear, the 196 can be used in a few ways (simultaneously) by SkyView. One, it can be your backup position source. This gives SkyView GPS information for synthetic vision, its own mapping capabilities, and for other calculations throughout the system. In this respect it's like a backup SV-GPS-250, as you've said.

Its navigation data can also be displayed on the HSI, and can be flown by the AP. In other words, you can do a flight plan on your 196, select it as your HSI source on SV, and fly it. Note that the 196's flight plan information is not transmitted in full to SkyView, so you won't see its course on our map or flight plan.

For that last bit - to use SkyView's own self-contained navigational capability (with either the SV-GPS-250, 196, or other GPS as the raw position source), you'll need our SV-MAP-270, which is essentially our mapping product. That's a $500 one time purchase. Aviation / obstacle databases are free from our website for US customers.

Alvin

Watch Thy Airspeed
I have a 196 garmin running a dynon auto pilot. It works great you just have to select the generic gps from the list and set it up correct.