GRT CS-02 vs Shunt with SkyView and VP-X

cdeerinck

I love flying!
I searched this forum as best as I could, and couldn't find an answer to these three questions:

1) When running a GRT CS-02 current sensor, and SkyView HDX, and a VP-X, will I be able to get the VP-X Screen (see attached picture) to display all three currents correctly, or will it only work if I use the standard shunt?

2) If the GRT CS-02 current sensor is in location A, but the starter current passes through it as well, will that cause a problem during start due to too much current?  (i.e. is this a thing to avoid?)

3) Has the issue of not logging the amps when using a GRT current sensor ever been fixed?  If not, is the lack of logging because of the specific EMS pins being used, or is it because the units are set to AMPS, or something else?

I'm really hoping to get an answer soon, so I can close up my fuselage, and not have to do yoga under the panel later.

Attachments

• SkyView_and_VP-X.png
    SkyView_and_VP-X.png
    15.8 KB · Views: 171

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Sorry for the delay here. The combination of the third party sensor + a subsystem (VPX integration) that has some special cases around power management make me a little uncertain of the behaviors, and I hadn't heard back from the development team.

1) [edited] It turns out it's actually hard-coded to look at amps coming in on pins 24/25 - in other words, the shunt only. If you don't have amps coming in there, the text on the line from the alternator and on the line from that battery is not displayed at all (you'd only have the system amps in the center).
2) The hall effect sensor isn't taking the current load, and its actual signal output is small. So you should be fine, but you may rail out the reading of course. The shunt - which DOEST carry the load - isn't rated for that current load, and shouldn't be used in this way.
3) [edited] We believe this has been fixed.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
And just a follow-up to Q3, we think that is logged now. See the release notes for 15.3.3 http://www.dynonavionics.com/skyview-software-updates.php

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
(In case you'd read our initial reply, it's been edited with updated information from our development team)