HDX Classic mix

rvator51

If I replace my 10 inch classic EFIS with a HDX and leave my 8 inch classic in the system; Does anyone know exactly what features I will lose on it. Will anything still work on it?

skysailor

Check with Dynon Tech Support but I believe the system will work normally. The Skyview Classic and HDX run the same operating system. The firmware on the HDX moves the engine instruments to the bottom internally but I believe all external items are identical. Should talk to your Classic just fine.

andresmith76

I love flying!
Check with Dynon Tech Support but I believe the system will work normally. The Skyview Classic and HDX run the same operating system. The firmware on the HDX moves the engine instruments to the bottom internally but I believe all external items are identical. Should talk to your Classic just fine.
I don't think this is true. Copied from Page 2-1 of the latest Skyview SE/Classic/Touch/HDX Installation Guide:

SkyView units cannot / should not be mixed

For planning your SkyView system, or upgrades, Dynon Avionics recommends planning / budgeting for installing the same “family” of SkyView displays, not to “mix” displays from different SkyView families.

SkyView SE displays cannot interoperate in a SkyView system that includes SkyView Classic or SkyView HDX displays. For example, if you plan to use a SkyView SE display, your SkyView system should only use SkyView SV-D600 or SkyView SV-900 displays.

SkyView HDX product line will eventually add features and products that are not compatible with SkyView Classic. Thus, Dynon Avionics does not recommend depending on “mixing and match” SkyView Classic and SkyView HDX displays in the same SkyView system. A future version of SkyView Software will remove the ability to interoperate between SkyView Classic and SkyView HDX.

For planning your panel for the first time, or planning to upgrade displays, the displays should be “all SkyView Classic” or “all SkyView HDX” displays.

CanardMulti

Stating the above in a different way:

Right now, a mix of Classic and HDX will operate together, provided they are on the same software version. Dynon reps reluctantly admit as much when talked to one-on-one at Oshkosh. In the very next breath they caution that at some point the software paths WILL eventually diverge, and the two will NOT work together. For this reason they strongly discourage initial installation of mixed systems.

In the situation you propose w/ 10 inch HDX and 8 inch Classic, understand that eventually the 8 inch will have to be replaced w/ an HDX unit as well when the software paths diverge.

Also as stated above, SE is a system unto itself and will NOT interoperate with the other versions.

andresmith76

I love flying!

djones

Administrator
Staff member
That is correct, as of release of 16.7.0 software on classics, only maintenence releases will be done and the ability to exist in a system
with HDX running newer SW than that is forever broken.