Heads Up Display (HUD) for Dynon

pajfcorg

Flying Magazine is reporting that Pat Avionics has announced a new HUD. It comes in two flavors including "G-HULP for Dynon SkyView".

Do you guys care to comment?

What is displayed on the HUD?

One more request. When you send out a press release, it would be nice to see it, at the same time, on your web page. Maybe the News section could keep a copy of all of your current and past press announcements?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Flying Magazine is reporting that Pat Avionics has announced a new HUD. It comes in two flavors including "G-HULP for Dynon SkyView".

Do you guys care to comment?

What is displayed on the HUD?

One more request. When you send out a press release, it would be nice to see it, at the same time, on your web page. Maybe the News section could keep a copy of all of your current and past press announcements?

They contacted us last week and told us about their HUD.  We haven't seen one in actual use yet, but they are in the same Building D as us at Oshkosh and we will see it there. They will have it operating in their booth with a SkyView.  So we cannot comment or endorse it until we see it, but we will let you know.

In the past we have always updated our Website the same day as a press announcement, but the logistics of several new product announcements became a little crazy this week, with more to come. So it became easier to post everything on Monday, the first day of Oshkosh. 

We do have a Web page listing all of the new and historical press announcements, http://dynonavionics.com/docs/news_articles.html. It is under the menu tab "News", "Articles."

pajfcorg

Thanks. I will be interested in what you discover. I am amazed that they could go so far as to announce without your involvement. I am curious how they tie into your data.

Actually, I was aware of the page. My comment was really a tongue-in-cheek reference to the fact that I was reading about press releases in the forum for a few days while the latest news on the press release page was dated 4/18. Sometimes I am a bit too subtle. Sorry.

FWIW, you might put in front of your marketing people that your most ardent advocates stay connected to your web pages. My bet is that getting a press release on your web pages may have as much impact on your market as a release sent out to your press contacts. It can also serve as a half way step to informing customers before you get the full product description on your product pages.

Another idea could be to add the people that have signed up to receive news from Dynon (as I have) to the mailing list you use for your press contacts. You seem to issue 6 to 12 press releases a year. That would be a very modest increase in emails, but if someone were concerned, you could even make it a separate mailing list.

I am sure all of your marketing focus is on Oshkosh. There are some of us, out here in the sticks, that wont be going and depend on your web pages. I will be checking it daily over the next week or so.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.  :)

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Our data format is published in every one of our manuals, and includes basically every bit of data SkyView knows about. So any company or person an use this data to do whatever they want. That's the whole reason that we publish the format with no restrictions, so that other creative people can use it in new ways.

The data just comes out a serial port in SkyView.

pajfcorg

So did you guys get a chance to see this at the show? Any thoughts you care to share?

Phil

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
A few of us did take a look at it. It looks like it interfaces with SkyView just fine. Like many other products that we don't make ourselves or have a bunch of experience with, we can't endorse it.

One thing that we did notice is that unlike a conventional HUD, this product doesn't "throw" the image beyond the cockpit by using lenses/mirrors/combiners (the idea here is to reduce the workload of taking your focus from outside the cockpit to back into the cockpit to see instrumentation, not just getting the instruments "up" vertically). Instead, the focal plane of the image is in the cockpit on the physical screen that is located above the glare shield.

Basically, you'd need to see it for yourself to make up your own mind whether it works for you.