Help specifying what I need to autopilot a plane

almarton

Hi,
I am new to this forum, I got an EFIS D100 and a Garmin 296 from GCA ;D

I was wondering what more parts I will need to purchase to set a two axis autopilot for a Patriot 150 High Wing Experimental LSA (that aircraft can be seen on this link: http://www.sport.aero/)

By what I read it seems that I will need 2 servos SV32 and AP74 Dedicated Autopilot Interface Module. Not sure though...

Is that all? Does it compatible with Garmin 296 for steering in current firmware ?

Is the installation AP74 with EFIS simple? Are there a diagram I can follow, do I need HS34 to interface AP74 with GPS?

Many thanks in advance for any help...

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Re: Help specifying what I need to autopilot a pla

Alex,

All you need to add is two servos, one pitch and one roll. These are $750 each.

These are probably SV32's, but we're not familiar enough with your airplane to say for sure. We also don't know if it uses cables for control or pushrods.

You do not NEED the AP74. It just makes the AP easier to use. If you don't have the AP74 you use the buttons on the EFIS to set modes and program directions. With the AP74 you can just press buttons on the module.

You do not need the HS34 to talk to the 296. The HS34 is for more complex GPS and VOR units. Your GPS will hook direct to the D100.

The Patriot 150 appears to be an S-LSA, not an E-LSA. In this case, legally you need to get authorization from the factory on if you can install the EFIS and AP, and follow their directions. We cannot tell you specifically how to install these units in your plane, but we do have the full installation guides in the support area of our website, and you should have received an install guide with your D100.

almarton

Hi, first thanks for the prompt response I've been asking questions lately and always getting very prompt response and support from Dynon that made already a very good impression with me.

Well I don't yet have the EFIS I purchased from GCA because I am supposed to pick it up on february 3rd... so I did not see any diagrams yet...  :p

Can I buy AP74 and SV32 beforehand and depending of the command type (cable or pushrod) buy some adpater after or I need to know it first before ordering the SV32 form GCA? I will consult the factory (currently assembling my plane) to see if they use cables or pushrod for command and I return to you if needed.

For now... many many thanks and best regards.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member

You must buy the servo with the appropriate output method. We have the pushrod servos for sale now, but the cable servos are not quite for sale yet.

almarton

Hi again,

Seems that the my plane uses pushrod for roll and cable for pitch.

You said you dont have cable servos for sale yet so I ask. Do you know a compatible cable servo for pitch I can buy and use with the D100 EFIS ? (I would still use the Dynon pushrod one for roll).

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member

Only Dynon servos work with our autopilot. You will need to wait until we release the capstan servos if you want to use our system.

almarton

Hi, I asked the factory that is assembling my plane they said roll is pushrod and pitch is mixed pushrod with cable.

They think would be ok to install Dynon pushrod servos for pitch and roll. They are just not sure if I should go for sv32 or sv42...

So I ask If SV32 and 42 are the same price why not one should always go for the most torque ? What is the side efect off super-dimension torque in the servos (any colateral) ?

One last thing, is this pitch servo in the picture attached standard or long arm?

Looking forward to your response to finally put my order on those.

Attachments

• soluao_de_insalacao_de_servo_de_Pitch.JPG
    soluao_de_insalacao_de_servo_de_Pitch.JPG
    143.6 KB · Views: 161

almarton

Before you answered my question above I just remember to ask another one (maybe a little silly but important)

Does any SV servos can be used either for pitch or roll (interchangeable) or do I have to specifically ask a servo roll and a servo for pitch.

Thanks in advance...

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member

You can use a servo in either location. They are not specific.

The disadvantage of stronger servos is weight and the drag they put on the control system. The larger the servo the more it weighs and the more drag it has.

That looks like a standard length arm.