Highway In The Sky (HITS)

65xx

I haven't seen anything recently about implementing HITS. I did a quick search for HITS and the last Dynon comment was "it's on the list", dated 2013. I have a friend who bought the Advance System for his 7A and says he uses it on every flight for decent profiles. I flew a Refresher Flight with him and found myself wishing I too had that capability on my SV1000T. Dan from Reno.

lealaw

This feature would be far more practicable than many others discussed and would be available to all skyview users, not just those in the US.

preid

+2 -would love to see incorporated into next release. whenever that may occur.

Dynon- Is there still a place were one can see what was requested and allow votes to help determine which has the highest "wishes". I think there used to be a location, but can not locate anymore.
Thx

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
HITS is the display of your flight plan from a GPS on a PFD. This means that unless you can program your GPS to show you the complete path of flight you want, HITS won't show what you expect. Think of it this way- if the autopilot can't currently fly it, we can't show it on HITS.

For those of you asking for HITS, can you please describe your use cases further so we can make sure that it would do what you expected it to?

waveflyer

The last aircraft I owned was a C182T with G1000 and HITS. It is a good safety feature that can show you with or without the AP exactly where you are programmed to be. If you are not flying in the row of boxes you fly to them and fly the tunnel.
From memory the box is 700 feet wide and 200 feet high.
Can't you use the same criteria as GARMIN?

preid

if the autopilot can't currently fly it, we can't show it on HITS.

Let me ask it this way, If I manually fly or set my autopilot to cruise on GPS to a point or descend to the (now present) blue arc area and end at 100ft (per set altitude), would one be able to do the same with HITS?, in other words could the preset flightplan with waypoints and final destination allow one to follow the boxes to reach that point if staying in the box?

I would love to make flying easier for my wife. She wants to fly and the HITS would make it far easier for her to see if she is staying on course. I would manually use it as reference to land or descend from altitude, as I dont use the AP much.
Its a wish and not a necessity for me, I would probably only engage it for certain scenarios, mostly as I mentioned to help with descents and occasional landings.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Can't you use the same criteria as GARMIN?

The G1000 is a full IFR naviagtor with IFR procedures. So it starts with that, which allows it to navigate all the way down to a runway. To see HITS, you need to program a procedure into it.

SkyView is not an IFR navigator. It can connect to one, and if you have one, then it can fly you to the runway. Without that, it has no idea about approaches, holds, etc.

The real question here is if people are asking for synthetic approach, or HITS. Synthetic approach is the creation of a virtual glideslope to any point, which is a flight planning tool that is independent of HITS. HITS is a display of whatever flight plan you have, but it can't magically create flight plans or approaches.

Today, if you don't have an external IFR navigator, HITS on SkyView would show you your flight plan, but the boxes would be at the altitude your altitude bug is at. It couldn't give you vertical commands. Is this what people expect?

As Mmarien says, HITS is just a different display of the flight director.

shenweas

I love flying!
Both would be nice.

When an approach is programed to the IFR Navigator Would be nice to show the approach.

When it is not available then following a synthetic approach would be sweet ;) I know. I know we ask a lot..... :D

waveflyer

DynonSupport
Thanks for your detailed reply, eloquently explained.
Can't speak for others but my aircraft is fitted with twin Dynon screens and a GTN750 so I would like to see HITS emulate the G1000 system i.e. box the magenta line.

Carl_Froehlich

Interesting discussion.

To the one Dynon response, feeding a IFR navigator like the GTN-650 into the SkyView provides the full approach, arrival and departure proceedures and flight plan on your display. I guess Dynon could put a box on the display that follows the approach Glide Slope, but I'd think this more as detrimental clutter. Perhaps HITs in cruise would provide some indications for maintaining heading and altitude, but as most of us have George flying HITS this would again just be display clutter.

Bottom line - when coupled with an IFR navigator the SkyView provides superb IFR capability.

Now - if Dynon wants to make the big leap to IFR navigator, I'll jump the Garmin ship in a heartbeat.

Carl