Honeywell Oil sensor/ Zero oil pressure

AlanR

Hi,
I have Skyview x2, Single EMS, Rotax 912uls, engine vintage 2011, with what I think is a Honeywell 956413 sensor connected to Pin 6, Power to Pin15 and black wire to Ground.
Installation oil purge prior to inital engine start I have 0-4psi only showing on the Skyview but checked with mechanical gauge and engine does have pressure.
Sensor definitions set to Honeywell 456180?.....I cannot see Honewell 956413 in there. Does this matter?

Currently I am out of ideas. All help appreciated.

Alan.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Alan:

If it's a Honeywell oil pressure sensor, it's been several years since Rotax has supplied that sensor on Rotax engines; Rotax now supplies a sensor that's electrically (but not plug) compatible made by Keller. We also heard from customers that the Honeywell oil pressure sensors weren't very reliable, and when they failed, they would take out most of the other sensors with them (until the Honeywell sensor was replaced).

Suggest you replace the Honeywell oil pressure sensor. If the engine is out of warranty and you're OK with replacing it with a non-Rotax sensor, the Kavlico 150 PSI sensor that Dynon Avionics supplies will monitor oil pressure on your Rotax 912 ULS.

Hi,
I have Skyview x2, Single EMS, Rotax 912uls, engine vintage 2011, with what I think is a Honeywell 956413 sensor connected to Pin 6, Power to Pin15 and black wire to Ground.
Installation oil purge prior to inital engine start I have 0-4psi only showing on the Skyview but checked with mechanical gauge and engine does have pressure.
Sensor definitions set to Honeywell 456180?.....I cannot see Honewell 956413 in there. Does this matter?

Currently I am out of ideas. All help appreciated.

Alan.

AlanR

Thanks Dynon, sound like a good plan. I see the Kavlico 101693-000 150psi has 1/8NPT which is great,the same as the Honeywell, however I think the Kavlico needs +5vdc so am I correct in thinking I need to use Pin 18....a splice off the Map sensor wire maybe?

Alan.

AlanR

Ok having had time to read the manual I can answer my own question...Use Pin 18 for +5vdc the same as the MAP sensor!

I have another question though....On the VAF forum they talk about fitting a 330 microfarad capacitor between the Green and Black wire on Kavlico sensors. It doesn't mention doing this in the Skyview installation manual, so I am wondering how  necessary is it to fit this capacitor?...Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Alan

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
If you're retrofitting a Kavlico sensor, we recommend you share ("tap") the Ground and Power connections already in the engine compartment on the Manifold Pressure sensor.

The capacitor is only necessary in a small number of installations of our older EMS units where the fuel or oil pressure is displaying erratically. The capacitor is not necessary in a SkyView installation.

Ok having had time to read the manual I can answer my own question...Use Pin 18 for +5vdc the same as the MAP sensor!

I have another question though....On the VAF forum they talk about fitting a 330 microfarad capacitor between the Green and Black wire on Kavlico sensors. It doesn't mention doing this in the Skyview installation manual, so I am wondering how  necessary is it to fit this capacitor?...Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Alan

AlanR

Hi Dynon,
I solved the problem!...and have kept the Honeywell 956413 sensor. For the benefit of anyone following on with the same problem the installation manual has an ambiguous error on Chapter 7-44.
In the text it states that the ground wire (if present) is to be connected. In fig 40 underneath on the same page it says do not connect the ground wire.
I disconnected the previously connected ground wire and voila I have oil pressure! :)

Alan

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Thanks for getting back to us on this.

I've queued up that change for the next revision of the SkyView System Installation Guide.

Hi Dynon,
I solved the problem!...and have kept the Honeywell 956413 sensor. For the benefit of anyone following on with the same problem the installation manual has an ambiguous error on Chapter 7-44.
In the text it states that the ground wire (if present) is to be connected. In fig 40 underneath on the same page it says do not connect the ground wire.
I disconnected the previously connected ground wire and voila I have oil pressure! :)

Alan