How close is too close?

matherp

How close can I safely install the EDC to the tail strobe wiring? The wire is screened with the screen terminated to ground at the strobe power supply only.

Alternatively, how close can the EDC be to the radio coax (RG400) and antenna such that it will not be affected when transmitting?

Thanks

Peter

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The high voltage strobe wires are generally not a problem. 3" or so here will be fine.

The power supply to the strobes can be high current. 12"+ is recommended here.

The radio coax should not be a problem, but keeping it away from antennas is a good idea. 2" from the coax and 12" from an antenna.

The wiring to the EDC is not a problem at all, so all of these distances are for the physical EDC box to the wires.

These are all just general numbers. You can always try a standard mechanical compass in your location first and see if it responds to anything.

grease371

I have a Progressive Areodyne Searey with the D10A, currently using not using the EDC but have it. The Dynon is within 10 inches of my Garmin GNC300XL, right above my turn and bank gyro and about 2 feet from my heater blower motor and battery. I haven't calibrated the internal compass, assuming it would not be accurate near all that interfernce.
I'm thinking about mounting the EDC in the rear of the plane but it would be within 3 feet of the Rotax 912S with external alternator.
My question is how far from motors, gyros, alternators, engine ign systems should the D10A internal compass be to work and how far from all this for the EDC to work?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
3' from anything should be fine.

Your other distances actually don't sound bad, except the one to the turn and bank. Spinning gyros are not friendly.

12" to most stuff that isn't a battery wire will be fine. 24" from a battery wire is more optimal, but 18" is probably good.

The remote compass and internal one use the same sensors so they all have the same distance requirements.

contryflyr

I'm building a Vans RV-8. I will be installing a D10A and D100 both with EDCs. I am also planning on installing a Digiflit II autopilot. I was planning to install the EDCs behind the rear baggage compartment but my elevator servo will have to be installed there. If I move the EDCs further back towards the tail I will be worried about the VOR/ILS antenna. How much seperation should I have and do you have any recommendations?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The antennas are going to pose less of a problem than the servo, so put it farther back. That being said, if you can get the EDC's more than 10" away from the servo, you'll be fine. I wouldn't expect the antennas to cause a problem even just 2" away.

The EDC's can stack directly on top of one another or next to one another without any problem.