HS34 into 3-1/8" CDI hole

Rogerhouston

Are there any future design versions of the HS-34?
I have quite a few customers with the D10's and D100's would would like to do away with a CDI and install an HS-34.
It's a shame that the D10 will replace a 3-1/8" horizon, but we gotta cut a hole and make a blanking plate to replace the CDI and still find the space for the HS-34.

I know it's ground up re-design, but hey...there will be a much larger market for it if it fits into a 3-1/8" hole.

Cheers,
Cliff

PilotKris

How about a remote mount HS34 (call it a HS34rm) where the box mounts remotely so that the knobs and buttons can be placed anywhere needed (even in a 2 1/4 or 3 1/8 hole)?

Yes, you wouldn't get the source indicator (don't need it because all you have to do is look at the HSI to she what source is indicated) or backlighting but it would be a very small price to pay to have the mounting flexability.

How about it Dynon? I know you can't please all the people all the time, but a remote mount option would please 99% of the people who can't use the HS34 horizontaly or vertically.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
This is one of those cases, unfortunately, where we won't be able to please that group of people. The two current physical incarnations of the HS34 are the only two that will be produced.

PilotKris

How about this...

If you happened to have an HS34 that had cosmetic defects that would make it unsuitable to be sold at full price, why not sell it to a customer at a discount in order to experiment with.

If that person (and I'm not saying it should be me) could come up with a way to remonte mount the rotary encoders and switches, he could pass along that information to others who would like the advantages of the HS34 but don't have the room to mount it in the 2 configurations you offer.

I'm sure someone is would like to try it but isn't willing to gamble $650 (and viod the warrenty etc.).

Get someone else to do the R&D for you. If it works, you'd sell more HS34s to guys like me who'd be willing to make the modifications but aren't willing to be guinea pigs.

What have you got to loose?

Thomas_Schaad

How is the HS34 made up? If I buy one, can it be taken apart and be fitted in a 3-1/8" box? Or is this "mission impossible"?
I am pretty good in making up new faceplates and so, cosmetically I am not at all afraid about. My concerns are more about the inside, prints etc.

Kind regards

Thomas ;)

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
There are two boards inside that are 4.5" tall. You aren't going to be able to fit them in a 3-1/8" box.

PilotKris

Thomas,

Would you be up to trying to remote mount the knobs (rotary encoders) and switches like I sugested?

PilotKris

Thomas_Schaad

Hi Kris,

If there is a third party product on the market, I would probably go for it. The thing is, my plan is the one to replace the actual A/P which is a 3-1/8" cutout by a HS34, once the Dynon A/P is available. What I am not going to do - and this time it is for sure - is cutting a new panel. If there are remote knobs around, I could build a controlhead which fits in the panel and locate the HS34 somewhere.

Maybe one day Dynon is going to offer us a kind of remote control to the HS34 which is 3-1/8" size. Maybe it could be integrated in the DSAB and then the HS34 can be placed somewhere, for example under or behind the panel. I guess Dynon does not want to produce any other prints, as they state clealy that there will be no other size of the HS34. But hopefully they will give us "remote control" via the DSAB for the HS34. What do you think Dynon?

Kris and me are not the only ones, having 3-1/8" holes in the panel ;)

Kind regards

Thomas ;)

PilotKris

Hi Thomas,

I like it!

Actually, a "remote control" via DSUB could work with ANY Dynon EFIS (with or without HS34) as the controlls are universal: Heading Select, Course Select, Nav Source, Input.