HSI declutter

tankdahl

The ability to remove the ground track indicator from the HSI page would make it a lot more readable.

georgev

I have bought a 2200 USD D10A instead of 1600 USD GI-106 CDI. I wanted PRIMARILY a CDI. Not having remote compass, I would greatly appreciate having a simple CDI function, especially for flying ILS. Currently, my CDI/HSI during an ILS points anywhere but straight up. The same while flying direct to VOR. Yes, I can add a remote compass to improve ground track indication but it is an extra complexity.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
It is not possible to "freeze" the DG that the HSI overlays to turn it into a traditional CDI, if that's what you're asking. However, note that when you're flying an ILS, you do need to set the course manually to get things to line up when you're on approach.

An EDC-D10A remote magnetometer is the ideal solution of course. But, have you been through the calibration procedures for the on-board magnetometer? Your heading will definitely be wrong until you go through the calibration procedure.

georgev

I have been through the calibration process and the things have improved signigicantly. I have now 0 - 10 degrees error versus up to 40 before. I may try to repeat the calibration as the air was quite bumpy when I did it (if it makes any difference).

I have localizer issues with SL30 as per my other post. That is really the significant issue - having simple CDI mode is more of a wishlist item than an issue. From programing point of view, adding the "simple CDI" mode should be a relatively minor tweak. And all of the sudden, you could start winning hearts and monies of those buying CDI for almost the same money as your (even if uncertified) D10A with many more features.