Hunting for Altitude

NASA515

I love flying!
In the famous American Airlines training video Children of the Magenta about cockpit automation, the lecturer describes one of the most frequent comments in the cockpit:  "What's it doing now?"

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...Fx0a5eBaonU2Mc7pil2iLCg&bvm=bv.95515949,d.cGU

I find myself saying that a fair amount.  My autopilot has these problems.

I am running SV touch with the aux A/P panels and ver 12.2 in an RV-12.  I've run lots of flight tests and the A/P can capture and maintain altitudes just fine.  Most of the time.

Thursday I flew 0S9 - CLS and returned TDO - 0S9.  The flight down at 3500 ft was uneventful and the A/P locked the altitude.  On the return flight at 4500 ft, the A/P "lost it's way", as seems to happen sporadically, but continually.

The altitude hold going down held the altitude to within 4 or 5 feet and the V/S varied up to 100 fpm max.  On the return flight, the altitude varied over 100 ft and the V/S exceeded 500 fpm.  I have a lot of graphs confirming these numbers.  The air was smooth.

In a typical event, with the A/P engaged and an altitude selected, and all annunciations normal, the airplane flies right through the selected altitude.  Sometimes, it phugoids around the selected altitude with no indication it is ever going to settle down.  While closing in the selected altitude during a climb, if I try to help it by reducing power, it will "rebel" by abruptly pitching up.

I do a lot of punching out (disconnecting) the A/P and asking the lead-off question - "What's it doing now?" .  Reconnecting sometimes works - but often does not.  I experienced the same problem before and after I upgraded to Touch.

I've spent many hours Tuning the A/P with the Tuning Manual.  I've pretty much got it where I want it.  Because when it's good - it's really good.  But -- when it's bad.......

I pulled a Diagnostic file from the last flight if Dynon wants to take a look

Bob Bogash
RV-12
N737G

NASA515

I love flying!
Nope - I've assumed it was a computer problem. That servo is not easily accessed, but I'm due to pull that big panel in the next 2 weeks for my Annual, so I'll check it.

Thanks for the tip.

Bob

led

Bob,

You can check the shear screw without taking anything apart by putting the servos in "TEST" mode (HARDWARE CALIBRATION->SERVO CALIBRATION->TEST). It'll run the servos into a corner, then get out and wiggle the elevator and look for lost motion. If you can see the servo that'll help, but you can feel if the servo arm is working back and forth with a broken shear screw.

I can also usually tell from the log if this is going on, so you can send it to my attention here:
http://www.dynonavionics.com/docs/upload.html

-Lawrence
Autopilot Guy

NASA515

I love flying!
OK, I'll try it. Five legs today - some are perfect, and some are disasters.

Bob

led

Bob, I found the situation you describe. The AP is waiting for an "ALT" command after being engaged, and holding vertical speed zero indefinitely in the mean time. Pressing "ALT" would result in an altitude hold at that point.

NASA515

I love flying!
Hopefully, closing out this item.

During Annual, checked the pitch servo for broken  shear screw.  Nothing found.  Also did A/P tested as suggested by Lawrence.  Carefully checked pitch control system rigging and noted a little more slop than I thought appropriate and tightened up the system rigging.

Also re-reviewed the operation instructions to make sure I properly understood the system.  Especially the part about engaging the A/P while at the desired altitude.

A series of flights since the Annual have been normal in Altitude Hold.  Will monitor further.

Bob Bogash
RV-12
N737G

RJ

I love flying!
I had Roll drop outs & wandering off Track / Heading & NAV
This is what was causing my problems

Check all thumb screw connections between the cables of the various "add on" button dash mounted devices are tight. Hard to get at some but I found 4 connections loose & I suspect they were never tightened properly in my new factory built aircraft now only done 110 Flying Hrs.
Add in Engine Vibration & lots of paddock landings could also have caused loose connections = unexplained AP issues. My AP is now finally operating in all expert mode by using the add on button panels