IFR GPS navigator by Dynon wish list

Philippe_Michel

I love flying!
With all the updates recently does any one know wether Dynon is working towards its own GPS navigator and perhaps a Nav receiver to complement or be incorporated with the recently introduced com receiver?

lolachampcar

Guess on my part but I doubt Dynon can step into the world that is TSO'd GPS navigation sources as the firmware, data bases and hardware are so rigidly controlled.

purlee

I love flying!
I can't really see why they would want to. Their philosophy, and pardon me if I am overstepping the mark here, seems to be high quality, non-TSO equipment for the experimental market.

They don't have a TSO profile and would come into direct competition with the really big guns of the TSO world. The market share they could expect from the TSO market is not sufficient to justify the costs and time involved, whilst the guys who do that gear are starting to offer a better choice and better pricing.

As an operator of a certified aircraft would I rather put $20K into a Garmin GTN750 or a similar amount into a similar device from someone I only know as an "enthusiasts" manufacturer? The sensible answer, much as you might not like them, is Garmin all the way! Dynon would need a reasonable TSO market share to make it pay and logically they won't get it.

Dynon knows extremely well where its market is and if that market ain't broke, why would you change it?

I would not want to pay more for Dynon gear, even though it might be well worth it, to subsidise products from Dynon which others already do well.

I would also far rather see them put their undoubted talents into innovative product that nobody does better than them.

markdille

I love flying!
Probably not, but I would definitely think they and everyone else are working on a C145 GPS.  This would satisfy the 2020 ADS-B Out requirement.

What I'm wondering, and I am by no means versed in the TSO world or all the particulars of different systems certified to those TSOs (so this may sound like I'm on heroine, here I go), but a C146 nav system is what is required to operate IFR now and after 2020.  That appears to be the hard part.  What I don't know is if a C146 nav unit were developed independently (if even possible according to the TSO).  What I mean, is that it can be a remote unit with no NAV radio, no VHF radio, and no GPS that interfaces with the EFIS and feeding it necessary data based on required external connections, i.e. at least one C145 GPS connected (which Dynon is most certainly already working on, hopefully this is how the C146 requirement works and the separate units don't disqualify this theory).  The EFIS unit would facilitate communication between the two and help with nav planning, but only according to what the C146 unit allows it to do.  Much like the new AP panel, there could probably be an inexpensive panel module to significantly simplify the interface for the user but is not necessary.

Assuming any of this were possible, I would think this is the only way to even consider an IFR certified GPS nav system at a reasonable cost while not cluttering up panel space in the process because it's using the EFIS button and screen functionality for all its inputs and outputs.  It would be seamless to the user other than the fact that the IFR nav commands would be different than the normal Skyview interface and would actually be coming from the separate unit through the Skyview network.  The other bonus is that something like this could be added to an already flying airplane very easily.  I can't imagine wanting to include NAV radio functionality to the unit as I'd assume a second C145 GPS unit would be a better choice than the NAV radio, especially after 2020, but I'll defer to those with more experience.  It would be one less thing to design in, driving the weight and cost down.

Any thoughts from those that actually have a clue about these things?  Am I so far off that I gave you a nice ab workout reading this?  From a business and systems integration standpoint, assuming this were able to be pulled off, I think it would be a heck of a platform to work off of if a new design were tackled.  Also, if it were a remote unit, from a visual and brand perspective, this could be something that could be outsourced as a partnership more easily.  Dynon, or others, could lean on companies with this experience.  Consumer cost may be higher, but timing for introduction may be quicker and risk reduced.  Just some evening thoughts.