inclinometer off on the ground (static)

landwerlen

im sure there is a thread on this already, but i've failed to locate one. we've got an S-LSA with the D100 already installed. The slip/skid indicator (inclinometer), always shows a slightly left ball indication in a static condition. we use that indication as 'neutral' and have been flying that way for over a year. could the remote compass be installed erroneously? is there a way to 'center' the ball with software? thanks

khorton

Is it possible that the EFIS is installed so it is rotated slightly in the panel? I.e. is the right side of the EFIS slightly higher than the left side?

landwerlen

its not impossible, but the panel was designed and cut on a cnc device. im guessing there is an internal accelerometer that is causing me a problem. to cause such an error would require a fairly noticable installation angle. im definetly going to follow up on any good advice. thanks

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The sensors that are reflected as the inclinometer are inside the EFIS itself. We calibrate each unit here, so there are two possibilities: either the unit is installed slightly tilted, or the unit is out of calibration. We're happy to take a look at the unit under warranty to help you figure out which it is. Historically, though, just about every unit that has come back for this problem has checked out OK here.

landwerlen

can u quantify 'slightly'? 0.1 degrees? 1 degree? i'll measure it next week with a digital protractor to give a more descriptive error, but ive got it well under half a degree (probably closer), and the ball is intersected by the left line almost in half. thanks

DBRV10

Check the floor of your hangar, we had the same issue with our last plane, the D10 always showed a bit of left down, we think it was the plane and its undercarriage plus the slight slope on the concrete.

Was fine in the air when flown accurate.

Most likely you have a similar problem!

PhantomPholly

Yep, airplanes don't always sit "level" on their gear - especially if the floor is tilted!

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Roughly speaking, a half ball deflection is about 2 degrees, while a full ball is close to 4. It takes about 3/4 degree to get the ball start crossing one of the lines, and just tenths to get it to be non-centered.