Installing a 10-inch Skyview HDX in a Cessna 172M

TMartinPNW

I'm new to the Forum and searched this topic before posting, if anyone knows of other posts please send me a link - many thanks.

I recently purchased a very original 1973 Cessna 172M; 2800 TTAF, 580 SMOH (LyCon) and an unmolested original panel. I fly in the Pacific Northwest and plan to add some capability to the panel to reflect the type of flying I do and the airspace/geography I operate in. Dynon is local to me and I love their business model and ethic, I have eagerly watched the development of the Skyview system and intend to put a certified Skyview HDX in my 172M.

My question to this group is has anyone put a 10-inch display in a 172M? I know the 10-inch display fits in the N (and newer models) panel but the higher yoke position of the M model leaves little room. I have considered a 7-inch display but taking the easy route has never been my thing. If you have a 172M and would also like to install a 10-inch Skyview HDX please chime in, this probably applies to the K and L models since they have the same yoke position.

I'm in the process of researching all options to achieve this goal in the most efficient and economical way possible and will report on my progress in the months ahead. I'm based in Bellingham (WA) and will be reaching out to the Dynon technical support team for their input as well. Thanks in advance to this group for your helpful feedback and suggestions, this should be a fun winter project, watch this space!!

Photo Oct 26, 14 34 02.jpg
Photo Sep 27, 10 19 26.jpg

airguy

2381.jpg

Not an early model - this is a 2001 R model - but we just had twin 10" HDX's installed. If you have a good measurement tool or calibrated eyeball maybe this will answer your question.

By the way - there are many shops now that can do this work, and I won't recommend any particular one, but I'll recommend one to stay away from if you'll contact me offline.

TMartinPNW

Wow, that looks great! is that an ipad or an mfd in the center stack location? I'm planning to have everything ready for a second monitor when I decide to add it.

I'm working with a couple of very talented local guys, not a national shop, thanks for the heads up though. We have a plan and will be executing it Dec - Feb, can't wait!
View attachment 4134
Not an early model - this is a 2001 R model - but we just had twin 10" HDX's installed. If you have a good measurement tool or calibrated eyeball maybe this will answer your question.

By the way - there are many shops now that can do this work, and I won't recommend any particular one, but I'll recommend one to stay away from if you'll contact me offline.