Intermittent Autopilot

RV-7A

I am having a problem with my Auto pilot disconnecting in flight. I have a D180, D100,HS34, AP74. I have run all the calibration diagnostics and they check out fine. When the Auto pilot is connected everything works great. Sometimes it disconnects without any apparent reason. After a while I'm able to re-engage the Auto pilot and it will work for a while. It does not appear to make a difference whether I'm in smooth air or turbulence. Sometimes it stays on for an extended period. I suspect that there is perhaps a poor connection somewhere. Any suggestions?

Janekom

I love flying!
My experience time after time with this kind of error reported, has always been intermittant power to one or both servos. Typically it will work while testing it on the ground. Then appearing during flight when you have vibration added. Have good look at all your connections. Remember it can also be power pin inside the D type connector that is pushing back while connected. I hope it helps.

RV-7A

Thanks for your response. I will check the connections and hopefully that will solve the problem.

airguy

The autopilot disconnect switch gets grounded to the aircraft ground to activate (thus disconnecting the autopilot). If you have a wire for one of the AP disconnect lines rubbing somewhere against the frame and occasionally shorting to ground, it would cause the symptoms you are seeing.

RV-7A

Thanks for your input. Yes, it sounds very plausible that might be the problem. I will check the wires.