Internal Data Logging

davemgill

I tried emailing this but go no reply.

Please can you tell me when the advertised data logging function will be enabled in the EMS-D10. I know I can attach a laptop and record the RS232 data line which is useful for flight testing but not really practical for day to day use. One reason I bought the EMS was for the internal logging for long term trend monitoring.

I understand there may be issues with software to display the data but I would be happy just to be able to download it from the EMS as a text file.

Regards
David

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Hi David,

We just emailed this to you, but wanted to also reply on the forum to let everyone know where we're at.

Our efforts as of late have been primarily focused on the release of our EMS-D120 and FlightDEK-D180 products. Now that these products are in full production and shipping, we are turning our attention to other things, with one of those items being internal data logging in the EMS-D10.

We plan to have this feature, as well as our DSAB (Dynon Smart Avionics Databus), fully implemented by the time Oshkosh occurs.

N112B

DSAB is here, Oshkosh is imminent, any news on internal data logging yet?

13brv3

This could be a very timely question. I'm in the process of building the panel with a D180, and really want some data logging ability. I have a standalone RS232 logger, but getting it set up to work is going to be a fairly big project, with no guarantee of success. If there's a data logging feature on the near horizon, I won't waste my time with this other gizmo.

Cheers,
Rusty

Alfio

I too am seeking data logging capability as well. A Really Nice To Have,  especially following an engine malfunction.

If there are no immediate plans from Dynon in pursuing this, then maybe someone will be interested in integrating one of these devices to do the job, and share with the rest of us: http://www.ghielectronics.com/products.php

They have development boards that may just do the trick, USB and SD card interfaces. Anyone interested in tackling this. Maybe even Dynon may be interested in pursuing this using external 3rd party devices.

I would be oh so keen to be working on this, however, I have plans to get our plane flying soon, and trying to stay focused.  

Alfio
RV-9A
Ottawa, Canada

lucaberta

Ciao Alfio,

in the VansAirForce forum I've seen a posting similar to yours just a few hours ago, and this other product from SparkFun was mentioned:

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=752

which seems more of a "pre-cooked" version of what you're asking. The job of that board is to do datalogging, and it talks straight to an SD card formatted with a FAT file system, you just pop it out and read the logfile in the PC.

More info in their PDF leaflet:

http://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/Widgets/Logomatic/Logomatic_V1_0.PDF

Not affiliated with SparkFun at all, but their stuff seems reasonably priced and feature rich.

Saluti da Roma!

Ciao, Luca

Alfio

Ciao Luca,

Took a quick look at the product you mentioned and it looks like it would fit the bill. Would need to check temperature specs, though I doubt any commercial product will work in our coldest temperatures up here in Canada. You are correct though, it seems to do exactly what we want, except for the need to terminate capture before shutting down (but that can be easily fixed).

I'll search the VansAirforce forum ... I must have missed the article this morning.

Thanks again for pointing this out.

Also, if anyone out there is working on this, please chime in and let us know progress, issues etc.

Cheers.

Alfio

GCDXT

I've purchased one of these Spark Fun Logomatic loggers.  I have managed to get it to record files from the EFIS10A and EMS but the data is bad.  As I know absolutely nothing about electronics I don't know why this is but the product data.pdf sheet does seem to indicate that the recording process (from the buffer to the SD card) may be a problem at 115200 baud.  If anyone has any suggestions I'd be pleased to try them.
Tom
RV9

lgingell

Tom,

I was looking at the spec (about to buy one also), and I think you are right that the EMS is outputting too much, too fast for the buffer limitations on this device. It would certainly be nice even it could miss every other data frame or something.

..lance