it's about time: correcting Hobbs on repaired SkyView

SZPflyer

Regarding my Dynon SkyView (TTSN: 310.1 hours), recently I went from this...

SkyView-1.jpg

to this...

SkyView-2.jpg

to this...

SkyView-3.jpg

In my favour, I have:

* SkyView System Installation Guide (pdf)
* year-old USER_CONFIG.dfg and USER_LOG_DATA.csv files

Factors working against me are:

* no documentation was provided with the repaired display to indicate whether it was returned "with the same settings/configuration as it was sent to Dynon"
* the builder of my experimental aircraft lives far away and is not available to assist

Assuming I have successfully restored the SkyView's settings and configuration from last year's .dfg and .csv files—a plot worthy of any Best Seller list—a burning question I'd like to pose to the ether is whether the repaired SkyView's display of the Hobbs widget will reflect current time (310.1hrs), and if not, how to adjust the time. Of course, the option remains to simply delete the widget from the display and install a new analog Hobbs meter, then run up the clock for a fortnight on a battery. (In decades of flying I've never had a Hobbs meter fail.)

Any thoughts or suggestions would be gratefully accepted!

Cheers,

John

Rhino

It appears it did not retain the old settings. Setup is time consuming, but not all that difficult. You can always ask questions here.

GalinHdz

More than likely the factory updated the screen software to version 16.3.2 during the repair so you have to update the network configuration. If you have 2 screens then both screens must have the same software version installed before updating the network configuration. Neither are hard to so and you can find the instructions in the SkyView System Installation Manual starting on Pg 4-18. The old settings should not be affected.

Last edited:

SZPflyer

Later today I learned from Dynon that my settings were [somehow] retained during the repair process, and the hobbs time was also preserved. Sure enough, after going through the configuration screens described in the SkyView Installation Guide (buried in Appendix A on pg. 21-4), the SkyView rebooted normally, with widgets properly placed and hobbs correct to the tenth. Phew.

Still, I'll look into adjusting the hobbs time. Doesn't exactly instill confidence in someone's claim of total time on their a/c, if they can tweak it via a menu.

Thanks for the responses.

Rhino

You've always been able to 'tweak' your hobbs time. It just used to be a little more involved. Hobbs was never a good indicator of total time anyway, since engines and hobbs meters get replaced. They can also simply be turned off or disconnected. The most reliable source is the logs, but we all know those are easily doctored too. When you get right down to it, there's no true way to be 100% sure. Being able to change time in the EFIS doesn't really represent any new ability to manipulate the time.