JR

knowlesbg

I am currently working on installing AP TO J430
THE PERSON WHO IS DOING IT IS ROB HERRING
EMAIL rvrobert@bigpond.com
He has installed one to a J230

jaba-who

Re: Jabiru install hints

I'm just about to send away for the servos and AP panel to instal in my Jabiru 430.

But I would like some advice from one of you guys who has already been there done that.

Anyone care to share their experience. Where did you install the servos? Did you install another push-pull cable for the elevator control or piggy back on the existing one somehow?

JR

Hi,
First important point is I am PLANNING to do mine and havent started yet.
One servo can go behind PAX seat using push rod in the generic kit to the end of the control cables for aeilons - will need a couple of brackets and supports made - I have a photo of someone elses like this.

Others have mounted other servo beside it and have a short cable going to the side of the main control stick - opposite side to main cable attachment. This is a fairly sharp bend and needs cable support brackets etc made up

Im going to look at mounting servo on the floor behide the sound curtain and a cable going back to tail mounting point for main elevator cable

Im very open to other ideas though - especially ones which involve a kit being made up for me as its a project which has been dragging on for nearly a year now :mad:
JR

jaba-who

Hi Again.

Yeah I am in the same position. Been planning on installing AP since they were first advertised but been waiting to see how others do it and for the bugs to be ironed out first.  Time has arrived to do it I think (and the US$:AUS$ ratio is getting better)

My next question is - The suggested (by Dynon) servo is the SV42 - though they seem to have arrived at this as an estimate.  Anyone able to tell me from experience exactly which model servo they have used and had success with?  Is it the standard SV42 or the "L" version or one of the other models?

Then where does one get the cable for the elevator servo - from Jabiru?  Do they make them up in any length you might ask for?

John

JR

Cables can be sourced from a few places although Jab would have to be a good place to start and I believe they are made to length
Jake in Aldinga SA will do the work, hes been very helpful to me so far and he is working in a Dynon about now sometime so he will have the clues on servo strength
JR

jakej

John

I've sent you a PM.

Jabirus - SV 32 is good for Roll, SV 42 for Pitch however there is much more to it than that. There is the issue of inherent control cable friction and trim forces to contend with - get those sorted and the autopilot will work much better.

Jake J ;)

jaba-who

I have finally got my cable. So for anyone else looking for one in Oz.

Jabiru source their cables from Tuthills Cables in Victoria (Ph. 03 98397800) but it became quite complex.

I contacted Jabiru first. They only have the standard size ones, which are too long.
Jabiru initially said to contact Tuthill's direct. Which I did.

Tuthill's sounded like they were going to sell me the cable then asked what it was for and when I said a Jabiru aircraft they backtracked and said they would not sell it to me. I had to order it through Jabiru.

I went back to Jabiru and ordered it and they then forwarded it to me.

Only took a week and a half and a 2.3m cable cost me $130AUS.

So if you are doing the same, just go straight to Jabiru, talk to the airframe spare parts guy.

Jaba-Who