Jabiru J230D 2Axheading & Min Airspeed Setup Prob?

Graham711

Hi Dynon Support,
I have a D180 together with an AP74 as well as HS34 with Twin Axis A/P on a Jabiru J230D. I have always had a problem with my heading from day one of it's installation, even after downloading and installing the latest firmware. The problem is that that the EFIS heading and the GPS heading does not match. Only after going into the Mag Adjust Screen to sync them up together does it then work - but from start up to about 40 minutes into the flight of around 200 NM I have to do this at least 4 times before it becomes stable enough to leave alone, and then it is great. Then on the return trip I have to reverse the Mag Entries as the error is then showing opposite to what it was on the forward journey. I thought that this was just the setup of the Compass Unit, and I have done this at least 3 times, as well as tried a new mounting position further back in the tail, while making sure that it is level as directed. All to no avail. I have read elsewhere on this site this morning, and before writing you this, that someone had a sort of similar problem and that it was the Compass setup that eventually cured it, when he found an old compass rose far away from his airport buildings.
On another note, is there a way in the set-up to get a lower Airspeed other then 110 knots for a J230? As with this airspeed min and with headwinds etc.. one cannot switch the A/P on to use it during climbs when it would be a great asset. Of course I am sure I have missed something on the set up that should fix this in a Jiff, but I have went through the setup some time ago without finding much in the way of a successful fix for this problem. I have not read it up again today to refresh the setup details, but if someone out there knows of the correct procedure to correct this problem, I would be very grateful. As I have a free afternoon today in which to give it another stab. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Grey

Brantel

Your magnetic heading and GPS ground track will not match unless there is absolutely no wind or you are traveling perfectly parallel with the wind which is almost never.

Redo the compass calibration to the best of your ability. Fly some known headings like down some runways at various points to verify it. You can also use the same rose you use to calibrate it.

On the ground, your magnetic heading and ground track should be close when you taxi.

There is a minimum airspeed parameter for the AP. just take a look at the manuals....