Just replaced my SV-42 with SV-52 problem

johnsteichen

I just replaced my SV-42 with a SV-52 on an exchange because of the new autopilot software.
I ran a network configuration, and it was detected
and listed as ready.

I looked in all the menus and cannot find a hardware Calibration/ servo calibration option anywhere. I am stumped as to how to bring the servo on line after the configuration detect procedure. Help

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Page 10-14 of the install guide:

SETUP MENU > HARDWARE CALIBRATION > SERVO CALIBRATION > CALIBRATION

johnsteichen

That is my problem.   I read the manual, and I do not find SETUP MENU > HARDWARE CALIBRATION > SERVO CALIBRATION > CALIBRATION

I have checked all the set up menus I can find, and I do not find Hardware calibration anywhere. I swapped the new servo for the old one ( that worked ), same wiring, did a network configure, it is recognized.  Is there another step I am missing.  when running, the servo is not acknowledged.
I will call tech support this morning when they are open. I will need someone to talk me through the diagnosis. I still find the old servo number on one of the pages even though it is not there , and the new servo shows up after network configuration.

johnsteichen

OK my face is red....
I found my mistake....
The hardware calibration was off the bottom of the various menus and I was overlooking the need to scroll further down. That is why my eye scan did not pick it up. :p

hmanvel

I'm curious why the upgrade to version 6 causes the need for a beefier servo. Is there more movement or something due to the new software?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
In an approach, the system needs to be a lot more dynamic than it was before, transitioning the plane from level to a descent, as well as handling airspeed and configuration changes.

This means that if you had a servo that was on the edge before, it may not be able to do an approach reasonably. It's not just an inherent requirement of the new autopilot software, and not all airplanes will have an issue. If all you use the AP for is what you used to (climbs, descents, turns, level) then there should be no changes.

johnsteichen

Yes my roll servo Harry was on the edge. With an occasional slip. Dynon offered to swap it out last year at Oshkosh, but I was not bothered by the occasional slip enough to do the swap.
The new roll servo is now in place, and fits in the original spot with 1/8 in to spare. (Wheuu)
Awaiting my return from travel to tune it up.