Kavlico Pressure Sensor

SaroDude

I love flying!
I have a Dynon packaged Kavlico sensor - Dynon part # 101693-000.  The number stamped on the sensor itself appears to be p4055-5025-6.  Finding info on this has been a bit dodgy and inconsistent.

Here's my question.  The sensor it's replacing has a 1/8 npt thread.  The Dynon package claims this should also have an 1/8 npt thread.  However when I go to screw the Dynon / Kavlico unit in place, I don't even get 2 turns.  Barely 1 1/8 or so turns bare handed. A bit over 2 with with a socket (but no ratchet).

Do I not have an 1/8 npt sensor or are these normal differences between npt threads?

-Saro

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
That part number is the 150 PSi Kavlico sensor or oil presure, and it is 1/8" NPT. NPT threads are designed to be an interference fit, so it should get tight before bottoming out. It does sound like yours is getting tight too soon. Here's a pretty good guide on what you should expect. You might try another 1/8" NPT male fitting against the place you are trying to screw against to try to determine which end has the issue. Anecdotally, I don't think I've heard of anyone with this issue with the Kavlico sensor before (though there's a first time for everything).

19fx57xl106

I love flying!
I have the Kavilco fuel pressure sensor that came in the Jabiru 3300 EMS kit and can't find the instructions for wiring it to my D180. If I remember correctly the red wire is 5V, the green is pin 8 on DB37 and black goes to ground, is this correct?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Here's a link to the connection instructions that we ship with the Kavlico sensors.

I have the Kavilco fuel pressure sensor that came in the Jabiru 3300 EMS kit and can't find the instructions for wiring it to my D180. If I remember correctly the red wire is 5V, the green is pin 8 on DB37 and black goes to ground, is this correct?

Jos50

I love flying!
hi there,
I have problem with the readings of the fuel pressure sensor. I have the EMS120 installed (software version is 5.4.3) on a Lycoming IO-360-M1B.  As fuel pressure sensor I have the KAVLICO 50 PSI sensor installed ( P/N 101716-000 ). Supposedly I have to use sensor no. 7 in the EMS120, but the readings I get from it are approx. 3.4 PSI during flight AND when the engine is off (also other sensor types give me just odd readings ). I checked the voltage at the sensor plug, I get 5.03 V there at the sensor which should be the correct value. The KAVLICO sensor is connected to a port at the firewall. This port is connected via a hose at the fuel manifold assembly on top of the engine. Do you have any idea what could be wrong with my sensor / setup ? Appreciate any help, thanks.

best regards,

Josef

RV-8A / Lycoming IO-360-M1B

Attachments

• fuel_manifold_assembly_-2-_.jpg
    fuel_manifold_assembly_-2-_.jpg
    418.7 KB · Views: 426
  • fuel_sensor_-2a-.jpg
    fuel_sensor_-2a-.jpg
    582.5 KB · Views: 486

kurtfly

I love flying!
Jos50,
Based on your photo looks like you have the pressure sender plumbed to the fuel distributor (spider).  The pressure at this point represents flow.  Not total fuel pressure.  The KALVICO pressure sender should be plumbed to the fuel injector unit to see the total pressure.  That should read about 26psi all conditions of engine operating on a lycoming IO-360 engine.

I should add it should have an orifice fitting installed on the port that you tap off from. Then a hose connected to the sender.

Jos50

I love flying!
hello Kurt,
that's what I thought already. Thanks for the advice, will connect the hose to the fuel injector.

best regards,

Josef