Kavlico Sensors

davemgill

I see in the latest firmware for the EMS-D10 that "Support for new Kavlico brand pressure sensors sold by Dynon" has been added. Where are these sensors for sale as I can't find them in your shop?

David

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
I see in the latest firmware for the EMS-D10 that "Support for new Kavlico brand pressure sensors sold by Dynon" has been added. Where are these sensors for sale as I can't find them in your shop?

David

The Kavlico sensors will be available for sale from Dynon via our website, via phone, etc. - all the usual Dynon direct sales channels, as of January 2, 2012. We're reselling the listed Kavlico parts - nothing "Dynon-specific"  about buying them from Dynon. If you want to get going on a conversion to Kavlico before January 2nd, they are available from other sources.

robertc

I have a D120 and an O360 on my RV7. I'm considering the new Kavlico fuel pressure sensor. The Engine manual specifies an operating pressure range of 0.5 to 8psi. The sensor addendum indicates the sensor range is 1.2 to 15psi. Does this mean that the sensor can't depict the full operating range for a carb O360 when using the D120?

Thanks. Bob

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
So it's true that that sensor can't technically support the full range on our D10/D100 series products (but will read down to zero on SkyView).

We actually have a 5psi Kavlico sensor which isn't in any kit, but which can be bought individually, but that isn't really best-suited for your purposes as you do also care care in your case if you gove above 8psi as well. This could happen if your fuel pressure regulator failed. The 5psi sensor is really intended for gravity-fed customers that have no fuel pump at all.

But, consider that your fuel pump nominally puts out 4-6psi in normal operating condition. What might work is to use a redline that is higher than the engine's spec of .5 PSI, because that would also give you meaningful data. IE, if you're flying around with only say 2 PSI, there's probably something to look into there.

peterk48

I love flying!
I purchased the Kavlico (069) for my Rotax 912ULS with a Dynon 180.  I downloaded the new software and my 180 lists it as the current version.  I installed the fuel sensor, hooked up the wires directly to the 37 DSub and changed my sensor to number 6 under fuel pressure.  Unfortunately the needle jumps around from 3 to 6 and back continuously.  Where did I go wrong?

Pete

peterk48

I love flying!
no...sorry...while engine is running. zeroes out when engine stops. it can't be the actual pressures or the carb floats would be poppin. thanks.

peterk48

I love flying!
It is connected but with 22AWG which is considerably smaller than the at least 16 gauge that comes with the device. Could that be a problem?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
22AWG is just fine for this application. There's only a small amount of current involved.

Are you able to measure the voltage output from the sensor (green wire) at either the sensor or EMS while the engine is on? If so, can you let us know what voltage you read?

peterk48

I love flying!
the green wire shows 2.3 volts when running my electric fuel pump only. working on getting someone to sit in the plane so I can check with engine on. coincidentally, the psi on my electric fuel pump is 2.3 psi.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
At 2.3 PSI, a voltage of about 2.3V is close to what we'd expect. Is that what what's displayed on screen? Is it steady in that state?

peterk48

I love flying!
Yes, it is what I would expect from the electric fuel pump only and it is steady. It is only when the engine is running that it is not steady...up to six back to 3/4...up to 6 etc. With the VDO it used stay right around 4.7 or 4.8.

peterk48

I love flying!
So...I'm back from Sebring (good show/good Kirk presentation) and have a chance to check the voltage of the green wire while the engine is running. The voltage stays constant around 2.5 while the psi on the Dynon flucuates between 4 and 6....still.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
How fast are the fluctuations? Also, is the red wire tied into our 5V output? Or is it connected to some other power supply?

peterk48

I love flying!
Yes, the red wire goes to your 5V pin, I think its 18, on the 37 DSub. The fluctuation speed is relative of course but the VDO was virtually steady in flight from 4.7 to 4.8. This never stops...except to go the other way...always between 4 and 6. I have seen Kavlico sensors at work with other systems and they can produce very solid, reliable information. I'm sure they can here as well. Not real sure how much influence the inputs to the Dynon 37 DSub from the Van's proprietary board might have on the situation.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
So what I meant by "how fast are the fluctuations", is: what is the frequency that it bounce between the two values? Does it oscilate once every 5 seconds, or multiple times per second (such that you can't see it). Does it jump between the two, or drift more slowly?

peterk48

I love flying!
sorry...it does jump. it is not a slow drift. it will jump to 4.3 for instance, stay long enough for me to see, then jump to 5, then maybe to 5.2, then maybe down to 4.1, then maybe to 6 etc. I can see the readings as it moves. it does not stay on any reading longer than a second or two.

peterk48

I love flying!
i sent a 15 sec movie of the dial in flight to Mike because you can't attach those types of files on here from what I see. Anyway, it should be be somewhere around there. If not, let me know and I'll find another way to send it. Thanks!