Keep Alive Power

dodsond

According to the manual, the keep alive power provides only 2 functions: charging the internal battery and running the internal clock.

I do not have an internal battery. What happens regarding the clock if I do not have keep alive power when I turn on the EFIS?

What I want to hear is GPS time is displayed if available. Would it be reasonable to add a feature to permit the clock to be set by GPS with options in the set up menus for time zone offset and daylight savings time enabling?

-Doug Dodson

josok

The clock looses time when there is no internal battery or keep-alive power after switch-off. At the moment the dynon receives a vallid satellite signal, the clock is synchronised will show the local time and daylight saving time as per setup. Setup items are not dependant on keep-alive or internal battery power. That's what you wanted to hear, that's how it works :)

Regards,

Jos

dodsond

Thanks for the answer. To re-phrase, there is no reason to connect keep alive power if I can wait for GPS to set the clock and have no internal battery. Is this correct?

meljordan

It does depend on the GPS that you have. Some output the time and some do not. If yours has the time in the data stream, then you are fine, otherwise you will need the keep alive to keep the clock running.

Mel Jordan

lucaberta

Mel is correct.

More specifically, if your GPS talks to you Dynon box over serial in NMEA mode, then you will have the time automagically set by your GPS. If on the other you're using Aviation protocol over serial (e.g. Garmin 430/530) then you will not be able to have the clock automatically set, as the Aviation protocol does not include the time in the specs.

Ciao, Luca

dodsond

Sheesh. I will have a Garmin 530W with ARINC through an HS34. Pretty advanced setup and I'm hearing this won't set the clock. Will this set the clock?

I have the Approach Fast Stack hub. Its going to take me a while to determine if the RS232 connection is made but I also don't know if both data streams can be used simultaneously. Anyone know this?

Bill_Denton

ARINC includes time...

Sheesh.  I will have a Garmin 530W with ARINC through an HS34.  Pretty advanced setup and I'm hearing this won't set the clock.  Will this set the clock?

I have the Approach Fast Stack hub.  Its going to take me a while to determine if the RS232 connection is made but I also don't know if both data streams can be used simultaneously.  Anyone know this?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
ARINC / HS34 from the 430/530 will set the time.

Serial from the 430/530 will not. Garmin did not include the time in the serial stream.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
All the handheld Garmins will set the time fine. It's the panel mount units that do not.