Keeping backup battery charged while building

Fgerr

Sorry if this has been asked before.

I am just starting the install of an SV1000 and have two backup batteries that have not been charged for a while.

Is it possible to temporarily connect the battery to a SV1000 display that is not installed (and not connected to anything else) and energize the display with a 12V battery attached to a battery charger and charge the backup battery? 

If not, is there any other way to charge the backup battery before installation is complete (or just barely started)?

I read the section of the installation manual on charging the battery during aircraft construction, but found that it did not directly address this question.

jakej

Sure can, just connect power to the SV (I think it should be charging at least 12.25v ) & connect the backup battery to the SV with the dedicated cable ;)

sstearns2

The backup batteries will only charge if you get the voltage up to around 14V Volts so you need a power supply. You'll want one anyhow to power the system for testing and set up.

Something like this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Low-Cost-0-30V-10Amp-Bench-Power-Supply-CSI3010SM-/221720976295?hash=item339f999ba7:g:MqwAAMXQeW5TYsax

Don't use a battery charger!! Battery chargers frequently put out high frequency AC along with the DC. It's great for the battery but can damage avionics.

Scott

CGameProgrammer

I love flying!
The backup batteries are lithium ion which does NOT self-discharge, and it is best NOT to keep the battery fully charged when not in use. That is why lithium ion batteries are never sold fully charged.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Li-Ion batteries actually do self-discharge, but slower than other chemistries. Beyond having more available charge to discharge in an unplanned discharge situation, the other reason to not store li-ion batteries fully charged is that lifespan is reduced when they're fully charged (particularly when stored that way). SkyView's batteries are intentionally charged to below that "technically fully charged" level, and we've sized the battery appropriately to balance available runtime with long term battery life.