Missing HSI Course Indicator/Course Deviation Indicator (pink arrow), Dynon D100/D120, Tru Trak, and 496

Johnny

Ok, boys and girls ... color me stumped.

My D120 was sent for repairs (new board and chip). All of my settings were lost, but I have managed to reset most everything. The one thing still missing though, is my Course Indicator and Course Deviation Indicator on the HSI. Garmin 496 is set to TIS in/NMEA out (Zaon traffic system installed) and seems to be communicating in that "Direct To" gives the distance to waypoint and the bearing. The "yellow box" is pointing to the correct bearing but the pink arrow is AWOL. Hate to admit my addiction to the pink arrow, but there it is.

My working theory is a mismatch of baud rate settings and In/out settings between the 496 and the Dynon. I have tried countless combinations ... to no avail. I have talked with Dynon support several times now on the phone. Yesterday, Jeff, too was stumped and sent my case to one of their engineers ... who will probably have a solution ... something along the lines of ... buy a Skyview! ;-)

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

~~ Johnny

DBRV10

Do you have satellite coverage while you are looking or are you inside your hangar? The GPS needs to have a good live position to start with.

I assume you have done this too?

To use the GPS-related features on your EFIS and/or EMS, your GPS must output either “aviation format” or the following NMEA sentences in its serial stream: $GPRMC, $GPRMB, $GPGGA, and one of $GPBOD or $GPAPB. You must also have a supported cable that exposes your GPS’s serial transmit line. If you own a Garmin 430 or 530, in the UNITS/MAGVAR option, set the MAGVAR to AUTO. The EMS-D10 auto-detects most GPSs, but may require a manual setting for some. This is true for communication with at least the Garmin 480 and maybe others such as the GX50, and GX60, and Bendix/King Skymap IIIc. From the EFIS menu, enter SETUP >HSI >EFIS_SERIAL; from the EMS menu enter SETUP >GLOBAL >EMS SERIAL. In that menu select the INPUT to be AVIATION and the BAUD RATE to be 9600.

Johnny

Hi David,
Yes, I always take the plane out of the hangar to check the GPS. I have tried the AVIATION/9600 setting to no avail.
Thanks for your reply!
~~ Johnny

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
If you're getting any data at all, then it's not a baud rate issue. My guess would've been the data rate accidentally set to normal, not fast, which is in the advanced nmea setup on the 496. Do you have JUST a D120? Did it used to work?

Johnny

Yes, the data rate is set to normal. I will try the fast setting today. And yes, the panel setup is just the D120, D100, 496, and Tru Trak AP. Thanks for your help and I will let ya know how it goes!