More on the Black Box data logging

65xx

Dynon: Is it possible to get the Black Box logging to go live instead of having to wait and download it manually. I want to install a "poor boys" black box in the tail. I realize that many don't want any data logging in their aircraft, that is ok. Perhaps in the setup menu there could be a choice between none, normal, or automatic. I invision a USB extension to the tail with an attached thumb drive in a small metal, padded, fireproof enclosure. I'm only talking about the 15 min loop of the black box function. Is this economically doable or do I not have a clue? Dan

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Sure, it's technically possible, but it's not free for us to implement so unless we had a lot of customer interest this isn't something we'll likely do. Plus, you can't run USB more than about 6 feet so there'd need to be some hardware work done if you really wanted to put it in the tail.

The data on SkyView is stored in a very high-end, stable memory device that is probably a lot more robust than most USB sticks (not that we are making any guarantees), so it's in a pretty good place already. Realize that it's being stored to this device continuously, not just when you shut down or download it, so it's recoverable as long as it's not mechanically destroyed.

If you really want to do this, we've had a serial stream coming out of SkyView for a while now, and it's possible to build an external datalogger to do this. Some people had already designed one, so you could look into this. It's harder than just a USB stick and some wires though.

preid

Any reason why Datalogging can be stored in memory but we can't store flight plans into memory? (more than a few)
Also, why not an option to allow the user to store the datalogging directly to the USB versus the hardware than have to move it manually to the USB?
Unfortunately the "serial stream coming out of Skyview for a while now" has changed, at least for someone who had this in the past (working) but can not do it anymore with 5.1. stuck on 5.0 until resolved. :-/

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Storing flight plans in internal memory is "just software." So it can be done, but we haven't gotten around to it yet. It hasn't been a popular customer request given that you can just leave the USB stick plugged in and get access to all of them.

Storing datalogging on a USB stick real time is problematic. SkyView can be turned off at any time suddenly, and this messes up most file systems. We use a unique way to store inside so this isn't an issue. So actually, our previous mention of it being technically possible for the customer that wanted an external USB to store on for the crash log wasn't totally correct.

skysailor

Dynon, is there a way to disable data storage or delete it? I am not interested in making this data available to anyone. I can live without it myself if that is what is necessary to remove this record keeping. Perhaps a choice in the setup would allow users to choose to activate the datalogging feature.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
There is an option in the menu to delete the datalog at any time you wish.