Multiple SV-GPS-250

AlpDmr

We are working on a rotary wing aircraft and we need to put SV-GPS-250 on the one side of it but we assumed that putting two SV-GPS-250 modules on both sides will give us the guarantee for GPS connection (also we consider the interference).
First, do we right?
Second, if first answer is yes then is connection same as one 2020 and one 250?
Thanks.

CanardMulti

It sounds like you are making an incorrect assumption that even some "professionals" who have not fully read the installation manual make. With two screens, a single GPS 250 (or 2020) is supposed to wired in *parallel* to both screens' serial port 5. If you desire a backup GPS, it is wired - again in parallel - to a different serial port, again on both screens. The order of fail down / backup is specified in set up.

Both the 250 and the 2020 are connected to Skyview in the same way. From a connection point of view they are interchangeable. The 2020 is approved in the USA as an ADSB OUT GPS source. The 250 in not.

Ken

AlpDmr

Dear @CanardMulti, thanks for your response.
Let me clear some issues (probably I explained them wrong).
We'll use this aircraft on Europe, so we'll use either one or two SV-GPS-250, not SV-GPS-2020 but I want to learn that;

1- Can we use two SV-GPS-250 in parallel at the same time (to increase or guarantee the signal reception)
2- If using two SV-GPS-250s is possible, do these instruments work at the same time (to increase or guarantee the signal reception) or do they only work as redundancy? Why I am asking that is if they are working as redundancy we don't need to put extra one.
3- If they are working in same time, is the connection way is same as described in documentation for one SV-GPS-2020 and one SV-GPS-250 (both GPS instruments will be connected to the both screens from Serial 4 and Serial 5 pins).

Regards..

CanardMulti

The Skyview system itself only uses one GPS source at a time, no matter how many other GPS sources are connected to the other serial ports. Multiple GPS sources do not increase accuracy. At least one additional GPS source is installed by many Skyview users to increase reliability, what it appears you call redundancy. Backups allow Skyview to continue to perform to its full potential if for any reason the designated primary GPS source connected to Serial port 5 fails to provide the system with a usable signal. Skyview cannot perform many of its functions like mapping, ground track, ground speed, and wind readouts without a GPS signal available so a backup signal source is important to many users.

All GPS sources are connected through the serial ports. In multiple screen systems, any serial ports that have a GPS source connected are connected in parallel. Port 5 is, as you noted, is the preferred port for the GPS source that is designated by you in setup as the primary source. Additional backup GPS sources are connected to your choice of the remaining 4 serial ports. The backup GPS to be used by Skyview if the primary GPS on port 5 fails for any reason is specified by you in setup.

Skyview itself does not care if the GPS unit(s) are the 250 or the 2020. They are functionally interchangeable. The 2020 is only needed even in the USA only if you want your Skyview GPS to be the FAA approved position source for your Skyview transponder's ADSB out. Just as an example, even some Skyview users in the USA only have the -250 GPS connected to their system. They provide the needed FAA approved position for ADSB out to their transponder from their approved IFR GPS navigator.

AlpDmr

@CanardMulti
Again thanks for your answer, It appears that I've used wrong word "redundancy". I wanted to mean that "auxiliary".
Your response is so informative and valuable for me.
Regards...

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Just to clarify. Yes, you can connect multiple GPS sources to multiple serial ports for redundancy. They are selected in a priority order. Ie, POS1 will be the source always until it goes away, in which case the system looks for the next GPS in the priority list (POS2). The ordering/logic is detailed in the installation guide.

Bill Putney

I have an SV-2020 GPS connected to serial 5. I also have an IFD 440 connected via an SV-ARINC-429. I presume that the GPS info is available via the ARINC data stream. If the SV-2020 fails, is the HDX clever enough to switch to the GPS data from the ARINC stream? If so, will it forward that info to the SV-XPNDR-261?

Rhino

It should as long as it's configured as GPS 1. Should be easy enough to test.

Snork

Great information here. I’ve got the GPS 2020 feeding my Skyview. Anyone know if I can use my portable Garmin 396 to input redundancy to the Skyview?