My plane reported as traffic?

RV9APlane

Had this occur today for the first time.  Although I was in an area where I had no radar but ADS-B was functioning, my display showed traffic as shown in the picture.  After freaking out just a little and pulling up and turning, I realized the traffic was following me exactly so it must have been me.  Have others seen this?
IMG_3221_zpsk46my1ys.jpg

IMG_3220_zpspfwvyvs5.jpg

swatson999

Hello,

you must insert your own Callsign to the transponder setup!

Torsten

That's not enough to stop it, though. My system is correctly configured (XPDR/ADS-B out) and it still happens occasionally. It will definitely wake you up, though :)

NASA515

I love flying!
Phantom traffic alerts are something I experience with some regularity - enough so that when I see an "00" alert, I pretty much ignore it (not such a good thing).

There is one area near my home field where this is very common - essentially every flight.  I have discussed with Dynon and sent some Diagnostic files.  There are numerous military installations in the area and we have discussed possible EMI impacts from those bases.  But I, personally, think it is terrain related.  The area where I get these is adjacent to a high mountainous area.  I note in your screenshot that there are mountains adjacent.

Bob Bogash
RV-12
N737G

RV9APlane

My tail number is in the transponder system.

I was flying SSE down the Owens Valley between Bishop and Independence at 11,500ft. There are MOA's everywhere around there and I'm north of China Lake restricted area. Mountains on my right hand side are over 14,000 and over 12,000 on my left.

kellym

I love flying!
Phantom traffic alerts are something I experience with some regularity - enough so that when I see an "00" alert, I pretty much ignore it (not such a good thing).

There is one area near my home field where this is very common - essentially every flight.  I have discussed with Dynon and sent some Diagnostic files.  There are numerous military installations in the area and we have discussed possible EMI impacts from those bases.  But I, personally, think it is terrain related.  The area where I get these is adjacent to a high mountainous area.  I note in your screenshot that there are mountains adjacent.

Bob Bogash
RV-12
N737G
Seeing yourself as target means that the ads-B system and your nearest ATC radar did not see you as the same target, eg your datastream on the transponder giving location didn't match with where the radar put you. Could be area of poor radar coverage or interference. Not too much to worry about, although I agree that the first time you see it, it is unnerving.

sstearns2

I would suggest that Dynon program the system to ignore any traffic within 1/4 mile or so. That's only about 2 seconds with a 300 knot closure speed so you're probably not going to be able to react anyhow and that should stop the false alerts which over time will slow our reactions to the real alerts.

Scott

kellym

I love flying!
I would suggest that Dynon program the system to ignore any traffic within 1/4 mile or so.   That's only about 2 seconds with a 300 knot closure speed so you're probably not going to be able to react anyhow and that should stop the false alerts which over time will slow our reactions to the real alerts.

Scott

You do NOT want a suppression of traffic. The target in question will show as same altitude, same heading and essentially on top of you. It is not like seeing a target coming at you or crossing your path. The false target keeps pretty much the same position with you. It also never showed as closing with you from any direction.
It is not a problem with your equipment or Dynon's software. It is a problem with FAA software merging targets from multiple inputs and recognizing which are coming from the same aircraft.

NASA515

I love flying!

Bob Bogash
RV-12
N737G
Seeing yourself as target means that the ads-B system and your nearest ATC radar did not see you as the same target, eg your datastream on the transponder giving location didn't match with where the radar put you. Could be area of poor radar coverage or interference. Not too much to worry about, although I agree that the first time you see it, it is unnerving.

I am running ADS-B OUT with the 2020 puck.  Don't have ADS-B IN (as yet.)  So, as I understand it, my system is seeing only passive returns from other aircraft providing Mode-S data streams - a very useful but very truncated subset of the total traffic picture available from ADS-B IN using the ATC radar info.

It's for that reason that I think it is terrain related, where my 2020 ADS-B out signal is bouncing off the rocks and being received back as a Mode-S passive (non-ADS-B IN) traffic signal.  Beyond that crude analysis, I quit.  I've read all the in-depth ADS-B tech stuff, but despite being a self-described techno-junkie/geek, start to get goo-goo eyed about half-way through.

Bottom Line:  No ATC radar info for me.

Bob Bogash
RV-12
N737G

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Bob - Not quite. If you don't have the ADS-B in receiver, you're actually getting a very ACTIVE traffic portrait from the legacy TIS-A traffic system that uses radar as its surveilance method. Your aircraft is actually logged into the system via the tranponder, and the TIS-A system lets you know about targets that are relevant to you. It's the system that predates ADS-B and its TIS-B traffic, that will eventually be decommissioned. You're basically seeing what Seattle's ATC controller do, with the exception that sometimes it sends you a copy of you that you don't care to see, and for technical reasons it's not trivial to screen it out.

NASA515

I love flying!
Good info - thanks. Gives me reassurance the TIS advisories are more comprehensive than I thought.

Bob