newbie question

lenene

I Am nuts for aeroplanes
I am about to buy an Arion Lightning equipped with the D180. I want an autopilot. I am an old retired pilot and only want hdg and alt hold. I like to be in the navigation loop. From what I read in the operating and installation manual, I can have my simple 2 axis a/p by just adding the pitch and roll servos and doing all the controlling on the D180 buttons. No need to install the AP74, although I understand that would make control a little easier. Am I right? And does anybody have the servos for sale? Thanks :cool:

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Yep, that'll do the trick! In fact, you can configure the system so that that exact mode is engaged by pressing/holding your AP disconnect switch, so you can do everything without even touching the D180 itself. Once engaged, you can use control wheel steering by pressing and holding the disconnect switch while you manually stick and rudder. When you release the button, the AP will re-engage with the newly steered to targets.

lenene

I Am nuts for aeroplanes
Thats good news...thanks
Do the servos come prewired or with a wiring harness to plug into some of the pins on the rear of the D180 box?
Or will I have to make up my own wiring?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
They don't come pre-wired. You'll need to make up a harness. Technically, there's actually a harness that's designed for use with SkyView, and it can be adapted for use with the D180 - there are two wires you won't use in that installation.