News about Updates

GDaddyT

Fly Navy!
Bought my LSA in 2012 with the Skyview Classic System. It works great and I do the (easy/thumbdrive) system and database updates every month or so.

However, is there some sort of newsletter or email which would clue me in on other updates or upgrades for my specific system? (I just now subscribed to the Technical Service Bulletins email and the “Preflight Brief” newsletter.)

The reason I’m asking: Just flailed with becoming FAA ADS-B Out compliant.
Discovered there was a SV-GPS-2020 antenna developed a while back which would allow my -261 transponder to be compliant. I didn’t know about that development.
Bought the 2020 antenna and had it installed, but ADS-B did not work. Dynon support wondered if my transponder had the latest software and when I went to the Transponder Setup page, lo and behold, there was a software upgrade there, waiting to be loaded. I didn’t know about that either.

I’ll try to do better monitoring this forum and scanning emails/newsletters for pertinent stuff, but there is a massive amount of information that flows To my Inbox everyday and I wonder if there is some sort of notification system that would filter things so I could just get info for my little world: an LSA with Skyview Classic.

Steveden

Don't feel bad, I, and I bet a number of others, didn't know about that xpdr update for awhile after installing the system:oops:. Its not something that was updated monthly so out of site, out of mind.:)

RVDan

I love flying!
I keep up on the forum from time to time, and check the Dynon website/support/ Skyview updates. There is a complete history there, including what is included in each version. Bit the transponder is buried in the info for several versions in the past.
Assuming, you were a Dynon newsletter recipient at the time, there was a big announcement of the availability of the GPS 2020.Free SW upgrades of the level that Dynon provides are unusual, at least the free part is.

swatson999

If you've been updating the software with each new version, the instructions for the one that initially included the transponder update *specifically* addressed how to do that. However, this is a reminder that it may be a good idea every so often to go into the menus and check the status of all the peripherals, just to be sure...

But, it is important that you read the changelogs and installation notes when uploading new software, and download the new manuals and read the changed sections. At least a few people around here seem to think they one they got when the system was first installed is good enough, especially when they don't bother to read it. :)

It might be nice if Dynon did have a page that showed the current status of all their products (e.g., "SV-GPS-250 --- Superceded by SV-GPS2020, no longer available; see Technical Bulletin blah blah blah", that sort of thing), including current software AND firmware versions.

GDaddyT

Fly Navy!
Yes, I will be more diligent from now on. I had sorta presumed a "system update" would bring my entire system up-to-date. Appears that's not the case.