Next generation current drawn?

Camillo

Hi. Maybe a silly question. I'm planning the breakers installation and was wondering if a 3A max. peak load (while recharging internal battery) will be OK or if it will suck more energy...
Thanks.
Camillo

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
It depends on your configuration, screen size, accessories hooked up, etc. But it's possible for the system to draw up to 8A peak. The screen itself is a lot less than that, but the screen can power a lot of remote devices.

nleonard

I thought that the screens were stand alone items from the main control unit as compared to being integrated together as they are in the other models.  Has that design element changed since the Oshkosh demo?  Are you saying that some of the remote sensors will still be connected through the screen unit? What functions are "likely" to be connected through the screens at this point in the design (subject to change).

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Here's how the system works:

Power goes to the screen.
The screen takes that power and powers itself.
It also routes some of that power out to modules on the DSAB bus. These are remote boxes, but they are powered by the screen.
Multiple screens can power DSAB, so if you have 2 screens and one fails, the other takes over.
If your master power fails, the battery in the screen powers the remote module(s)

Nothing has changed since Oshkosh, this is how it has always been designed. While the boxes like the AHRS and EMS are remote, they use a single cable connection to the screen, which is both power and data. The installer doesn't run separate power to the modules.

As you can see from this, the power draw for the screen can be highly dynamic. If you have two screens, one won't draw very much power, since the other will be powering basically everything. But if the one powering everything dies, the backup one draws much more power.

Camillo

Thank-you. This answers my question. I think I will connect the system to the main bus, since 8amp. on the e-bus seem too much (I will also have there one NAC/COMM and the ADI). The lack of an alternate aircraft battery circuit should be covered by the internal backup battery of the instrument. I suppose it will last at least 30/45'...
Camillo

jpage

Is any more detail on current requirements available yet ?
In the event of an alternator failure, will it be possible to power off some components (such as the transponder) ?
If there are dual AHRS, each connected to a screen, can this be wired so the second screen can be powered off and the second AHRS will also be, rather than now being powered by the first screen ?
With everything on, will there really be an 8 amp continuous draw, or is that an intermittent value ?
Thanks
Jeff Page
Dream Aircraft Tundra #10