No pilot sidetone when transmitting

jhorn@ntin.net

I love flying!
Hoping someone can help. I have a Skyview HDX and Dynon radio. The pilot side has no sidetone when transmitting. Co-pilot side is working. Is this a setting issue? Or do I have a problem with the wiring or radio? I have a Quick Panel and the wiring was done for me with the exception of PTT. When the PTT is pressed the radio has TX appear on the screen.
Thanks
John

cwood2000

I love flying!
I have the same issue on both sides and I am stumped. I double checked pin locations and ground and continuity to the device side of the DSUB. Even had a FAA inspector look at it, he said the PTT circuit is fine that the issue has to be in the wire that goes to pin 2 on the pilot's side.. The reception is fine and you can hear the mike click on a handheld, but no voice. I have the mic gain and side tone adjuste
d up to 80, no joy. I do have another unit in my other airplane and considering swapping the intercoms out to see if its an issue with the intercom. I also have some DSUB sockets ordered to rewire the DSUB, but since I have continuity I don't think that will be helpful. I've tried different headsets too, no joy. This is the last circuit to wring out and I really want to button things up before I hang the engine.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
There aren't any settings that differentiate pilot vs pax sidetone, at least with the Dynon Intercom. For audio panel-based installs, there may be settings on those devices, but I doubt it.

Point of clarification: are you hearing no audio through the headset at all on that side? Or are you only hearing silence when you're transmitting/ptt.

cwood2000

I love flying!
Not to jump on JMH's issue, my issue is the transmission is not picking up voice on either side. the mic click is being transmitted just no voice.

cwood2000

I love flying!
Found my problem. I had wires reversed on the mic jack, once that was corrected, I'm good to go. Might want to check that out JMH.