No Radar then only my plane

rogersmart

Yesterday I flew to a destination 1 hour away, ate lunch and returned. I have software V14, I believe it's the 3rd version with the enhanced data logging. I was receiving ADS-B the entire flight with weather and weather text. However in the right lower part of the map it showed No Radar. Then with about 20 minutes to go on the return flight, I received an audio Traffic warning and the Map showed what appeared to my plane. Right on top of me, same altitude and direction, it shadowed me the rest of the trip.
I have had the Dynon ADS-B for about 2 years and it has been flawless. I also believe remember seeing other traffic on a previous flight after the 14.0 update.
Before the Shadowing, I just thought that ATS was not transmitting radar that day, however the shadow indicates I was.
Do I have a problem or was this an expected behavior? What causes a "no radar" indication? I don't think there is a setting problem since all ADS-B features have worked for 2 years.
Thanks.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Did you upgrade your transponder firmware when you updated to v14? If not, this is expected as the FAA is rolling out an ADS-B change across the country that will cause this.

TRCsmith

I have VER 13, haven't up graded to 14 yet. I noticed on a 80 mile flight this last weekend in the Sacramento valley that I was shadowed off and on both ways. Have not seen that happen in a year or so.
Just checking in.... Not a complaint! ;)

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The FAA started changing the way ADS-B works in late 2015. Until you have a fully compliant GPS on board or v14, you will start seeing shadows as they "upgrade" the system in your area.

Tigermoth

I love flying!
Last couple of flights (SV 13.0) only get "ADSB No Radar" (which I assume is the FAA doing their mods with ADSB) and a few times have had the traffic alert on my own plane which eventually went away.

Traffic is now sporadic sometimes and I mostly don't get it now.

I'm waiting for Vans to post V14.0 and their settings files before upgrading and will delay getting the 2020 GPS until the bugs have been worked out also.