Nominal EMS settings for a Lycoming O-320, 160HP

dballen2007

Can anyone supply a starting-point value for each of these settings?
I have O-320, 160HP, 2 Slick mags, carbureted.

PhantomPholly

Re: Nominal EMS settings for a Lycoming O-320, 160

Defaults should be fine for starters, except for things such as fuel level and other things which explicitly need calibration.

Check the manual for instructions on each sensor.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member

Note that the default EMS settings are not designed to be baselines for any particular engine. Every setting should be individually set.

PhantomPholly

Note that the default EMS settings are not designed to be baselines for any particular engine. Every setting should be individually set.

Ok then why do you have a specific setting for Rotax engines?  I thought that at least some of the defaults were "fairly standard" for aircraft engines?

For example, if you input your engine's max hp and RPM, then it seems to "know" percent power based on several inputs.  Is this incorrect?

Maybe a better way of asking this is:  Are there ANY settings configured by default which are appropriate for a Lycoming or Continental engine?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member

The Rotax setting is to support the unique conditional limits of the 912 (redline changes based on oil temperature). The Rotax setting only affects rpm and oil temp, and the behaviors are called out in the manual. All other settings, even though they're the same from 912 to 912, have to still be set individually.

"Fairly standard" simply isn't good enough for many applications, especially given the wide variety of engines out there. Also, any defaults that might be close, or even right, shouldn't be used as a substitute for them being actively programmed and scrutinized by you.

% Power uses the charts that are basically the same across normally aspirated lyc/continental engines. It IS also a non-primary indication, and any user of the feature should ensure that once they have their hp/redlines dialed in, that the % power numbers it returns are sane. Basically, don't trust even this feature without cross-checking against your engine's published numbers.

To answer your question directly - do not treat ANY of the limits or sensor types as being pre-set as defaults for your engine. We haven't explicitly designed them to be, though many may be in the ballpark for your engine. Simply follow the installation guide and set and check each one individually.

PhantomPholly

Ok thanks for clarifying.

I was thinking in particular that the 220 degree Yellow/240 degree Red indications for oil match up with Lycoming recommendations and assumed that other things (like red line on EGT / CHT) were probably also "good to go" - but I will go and re-check all of those settings now.

One thing that might be nice would be to have a place on the Wiki for "Standard Values" for a variety of engines / classes of engines. I'll be happy to research values for my engine, but it is likely that at least some of it is non-standard as I have 10:1 pistons and one electronic ignition (LightSpeed III) in an otherwise normal IO-320B1A.