Percent Power Display on Dynon

kjmorris2023

Note: I've read the percent power document from Mr Jordan the Chief Systems Architect. I have an A-36TC with an TSIO-520UB. My percent power at takeoff indicates 125 percent. During cruise LOP it seems to be high about 5% if I compare the numbers to the formula of FF*13.7/Total Horsepower.

I believe I read they tweaked this in the latest software. Comments? Is there any way to adjust the ROP settings? How accurate is the formula that Mike Busch talks about?

Attachments

• Screenshot % power.jpg
    Screenshot % power.jpg
    636.6 KB · Views: 109

RV8JD

I have the 10" SkyView Touch system in my Experimental Van's RV-8 with a Lycoming YIO-360-M1B, so not the same as your Certified, Continental setup. But I had similar observations with the new %Power calculations.

Prior to first flying with the SW that included the new %Power calculations (v16.0.1), I manually changed the "Engine Type" from the "LYCOMING - DEPRECATED" (previous calculations) choice to the new "LYCOMING" choice, to take advantage of the new percent power calculations. The Certified folks may not be able to choose between the old %Power algorithms and the new ones.

I noticed that the % Power numbers were higher than what I was used to seeing at a given power setting. To explore this, several times in-flight I went back and forth between the "LYCOMING - DEPRECATED" to the new "LYCOMING" choice at the same power settings. I found when ROP the newer % Power calculations gave roughly 3% to 4% higher readings. I did the same comparison LOP a couple of times and the %Power numbers were the same between the two "Engine Type" choices.

My first impression is that the new ROP % Power calculations indicate too high, and the previous %Power calculations are closer to the truth, but I need to do a little homework first to be sure.

It would be helpful for Dynon Support to describe the improvements that were made to the %Power calculations and explain why the think they are more accurate.

For others that may not have seen it, years ago Dynon published the article below on how they calculate Percent Power. Unfortunately, several figures no longer show in the article.

I'd like to see Dynon update the article and restore the missing figures and explain how they now calculate % Power, or at least explain the differences between "Lycoming - Deprecated" and the new "Lycoming" choice.

Last edited:

kjmorris2023

I have the 10" SkyView Touch system in my Experimental Van's RV-8 with a Lycoming YIO-360-M1B, so not the same as your Certified, Continental setup. But I had similar observations with the new %Power calculations.

Prior to first flying with the SW that included the new %Power calculations (v16.0.1), I manually changed the "Engine Type" from the "LYCOMING - DEPRECATED" (previous calculations) choice to the new "LYCOMING" choice, to take advantage of the new percent power calculations. The Certified folks may not be able to choose between the old %Power algorithms and the new ones.

I noticed that the % Power numbers were higher than what I was used to seeing at a given power setting. To explore this, several times in-flight I went back and forth between the "LYCOMING - DEPRECATED" to the new "LYCOMING" choice at the same power settings. I found when ROP the newer % Power calculations gave roughly 3% to 4% higher readings. I did the same comparison LOP a couple of times and the %Power numbers were the same between the two "Engine Type" choices.

My first impression is that the new ROP % Power calculations indicate too high, and the previous %Power calculations are closer to the truth, but I need to do a little homework first to be sure.

It would be helpful for Dynon Support to describe the improvements that were made to the %Power calculations and explain why the think they are more accurate.

For others that may not have seen it, years ago Dynon published the article below on how they calculate Percent Power. Unfortunately, several figures no longer show in the article.

I'd like to see Dynon update the article and restore the missing figures and explain how they now calculate % Power, or at least explain the differences between "Lycoming - Deprecated" and the new "Lycoming" choice.
I will note that my readings didn't change noticeably with the software upgrade. They both indicate high about 25-27% at full power and about 5% LOP although I'm no expert on the LOP formula for determining % power.