Percent Power on EMS D10 not working

Bud_Keil

I have a D10 EMS in my 2006 RV-7. On a recent flight, I noticed that the Percent Power readout is no longer working and is displaying '---%'. All other readings and sensors appear to be operating normally. I have disconnected both of the D-sub connectors, cleaned them with a electronics spray cleaner, but the problem persists. Is there any way to diagnose the issue?

Bud

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
For percent power all of fuel flow, OAT, MAP, RPM, and altitude (from a connected GPS or Dynon EFIS). You also need to have the engine type set to lycoming/continental, and have your HP set. It also won't display below 25% power.

Bud_Keil

I have a D10 EFIS so I assume that the altitude is read from that source. The percent power has been displaying properly for the 6 years I have had the aircraft so I know that all of the proper inputs are being provided. I am thinking either a loose connection or corrosion on one of the pins of the D-sub connectors, possibly on the D10 EFIS. It seems strange to me that all other outputs appear normal.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
So if you use the page swapping feature on the EMS to pull up the EFIS page on it, that would let you know whether the EMS is actually getting the EFIS's data.

Bud_Keil

Good call on checking the EFIS/EMS connection. My EMS does not recognize the EFIS. That must be the problem.

Reviewing my maintenance logs, this problem arose when I updated the EFIS and EMS firmware in Dec 2018. The firmware revision is now 5.6.1.253. The last firmware update, when things were performing normally, was performed in Feb 16, 2014. I didn't record that firmware version. Is this indeed the latest firmware version? Any chance I can get the older version when things worked properly? Has anyone else had problems with this latest firmware version?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
You may just need to do a DSAB reconfiguration if you haven't tried that already since updating the software. As long as both products are running the same firmware, they should recognize each other if connected and configured to talk to each other via DSAB.

Bud_Keil

It looks like reconfiguring the DSAB did the trick. I tried it tonight in the hangar and I now can pull the EFIS screen up on the EMS and control the dimming function of both devices from a single device. Plus, my percent power now reads 0% whereas before it read ---%. Thanks for your help.