Phantom / Ghost TRAFFIC Warnings

D

DHeal

Good morning all! For the past 1.8 years (250 hours) of flying my RV-12, my S/V (w/ ADS-B) has been occasionally depicting TRAFFIC which I know to be my own aircraft. This is both annoying and unsettling for a second or two. These phantom / ghost warnings have now increased somewhat (I generally fly within 75 nm of the SFO Class B airspace). I recall DYNON discussing the "why" for these phantom / ghost warnings, but can't seem to find the explanation via SEARCH. How can I get rid of these erroneous warnings?

Still lov'in my S/V! :)

65xx

I, too have had these ghost traffic warnings reappear on the last two local pattern flights. I had them in the early days of adopting ADS-B, SV-261 txp, and SV-1000, the the problem was solved by Dynon. As mentioned above, the problem has returned intermittently (two of six patterns) and a couple of seconds duration w/traffic warnings, now using the SV-1000T. I fly out of RTS, next door to RNO and NORCAL is the local radar. Dan from Reno.

rvator51

I have heard that these are caused by ground stations not knowing for sure if same airplane or not and nothing you can do about it unless you get ADS-B out. Then your transmissions identify you so the ground stations don't have to guess a and those traffic icons should go away.

65xx

Thanks rvator51:  As for the second post above, N65XX, note that I have the SV-261 txp which provides ADS-B out.
I flew again Sat nite and received 1 ghost on 1 of 6 patterns, I noticed it appeared near the East end of rwy 26, just short of base turn,  for about 2 sec w/alarm.  I wish I knew how to spell intermittent. Dan from Reno

rvator51

A long shot but have you already sent in for a free FAA ADS-B avionics compliance detailed report?  If you haven't it might check if there is anything abnormal on your ADS-B transmissions,  If you dont have the link just send an email with your N-number to 9-AWA-AFS-300-ADSB-AvionicsCheck@faa.gov and request a detailed report.