Piper 235

mem235

New installation HDX and garmin 255 nav/com. Following instruction when nav 1 is select as brg source VOR not showing on HSI or under source. the vor is identified on active nav but did not hear morse code.
Operator error real possibility but i think im doing everything correct and brg pointer should be indicated on hsi
I need to eliminate obvious before confronting avionics shop hours away

Rhino

Can't help with the VOR, but the HDX doesn't control what audio you hear. All the HDX does is pass frequencies to tune a compatible radio. Your audio panel should control what radio you actually hear. The only audio out of an HDX is alert audio.

mem235

Thx rhino. I was using audio panel. But didnt hit nav ident on garmin 255. My msin problem is showing the source nav signal on the hdx. Its like somebody cut the wire

mem235

Update. Ended up being system setup for rs232 port. Hsi now works. Problem resolved except now for brg source i get gnc255sb and gnc255 option. The gnc255 brg source does point correctly to signal point. The gnc255sb (stand by?) doesnt appear to do anything. Does anybody know why dynon is showing”gnc255sb” as a nonfunctional brg source on my install?

Rhino

Never heard of that. Are you sure it isn't 255b? That's the helicopter version of the 255.

mem235

Naw, at setup i labeled the source gnc255. I have no idea where gnc255sb came from. I was hoping somebody else had same experience. It only shows under brg

Rhino

Check SETUP MENU > SYSTEM SETUP > SERIAL PORT SETUP and see what's in the Input Device list. That may be where it's coming from. If so, check what port it thinks a GNC 255B might be on. You may need to remove it or reconfigure the port, but I'm not sure how to do that off the top of my head. You might also want to check the input functions and priority list. If the 255B isn't in that list, it shouldn't show up on the HSI.

mem235

Thanks, you are on same page. Ive done that. Ive checked all serial ports. I will check again for device input list tomorrow. I labelled port 3 as gnc255 not gnc255sb. my avionics shop told me that sb stands for stand by. Makes no sense to have nav stand by frequency show up as brg source. Ill update whenni get it solved

CanardMulti

Naw, at setup i labeled the source gnc255. I have no idea where gnc255sb came from. I was hoping somebody else had same experience. It only shows under brg
Just another possibility re the "SB" label: I've also see the SB pointer in my bearing pointer display which is being fed via an SL30 emulation. When displayed, it does not provide any information. It acts like it has no signal.
I always assumed the emulation just was not up to the task.

From the user's manual:
SB bearing.jpg

Ken

mem235

Thanks ken. That describes what i was confused about. I would prefer the SB option not be displayed as brg source (brg location?) if there is no actual frequency signal associated, no value added. In the end it might be easy to ignore but at this moment it annoys me. I think i will see if dynon can solve.