Pocketfms charts and datas

Tuiliere

flying a RV7 in France.
Hello Dynon,

I bought some ICAO pocketfms charts for my Skyview system and I remarked the datas don't appear any more when using those charts. And there are a lot of useful datas I would like to sea on those charts, like little airfields...
Would it be possible to put your datas over the charts ?

In advance thank you
Sylvain

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Right now this isn't an option, but it's an interesting thought. We've found that putting the airport and other data over the charts can lead to excessive clutter. One thing to know is that airports and airspaces will still highlight if you use the map pointer or touch to highlight something that is in the underlying aviation database.

Tuiliere

flying a RV7 in France.
Sure that the "To place on top" function is a very common function on software applications. I hope you'll add it in a near futur.

Thank you
Sylvain

Tuiliere

flying a RV7 in France.
Hello Dynon,

I received your announce for the Skyview 15.1 version. Thank you very much.
But I am a little bit disappointed because you didn't access my request about datas over the charts. It would be nevertheless a great improvement for us in Europe.
May be next time ?

In advance thank you
Sylvain

High_Flyer

I love flying!
That would be a great idea.
I'm not flying yet, will be soon...
And I'd love to be able to see all little airfields on the map as there are many in France that can be used with my plane (RV-7).
Hopefully in the near future?...
Alain
France
RV-7 flying soon.

Tuiliere

flying a RV7 in France.
Hello Dynon,

To legitimate my request, take a look on this 2 screenshots. On the first one, you can see the basic terrain free chart. Observe you can see all the little runways and (very important for security flight ) the VFR reporting points and also the obstacle points. On the second pic, you can see the ICAO French chart of the same place. Note that I had pay for this chart. You can observe that littles runways and VRF reporting points disappear. Only the obstacles points still appear. Why ? I don't know but It clearly prove that it is possible to maintain all the pocketfms datas on the ICAO chart.
What is the meaning to use a (paying) chart if all the datas you need to fly are hidden ?
So please, allow us to see all the available datas when using a paying chart. In advance thank you

pujol

I love flying!
I use also Pocketsfms and I hope you'll add it because it's no good to change between charts when whe need VFR reporting points.
Th Pujol

Skydive911

I love flying!
Hello,

My plane has been flying for a week now and I am confronted with the same problem, littles runways and VRF reporting points disappear wtith the ICAO French Chart.
Is it possible to put the airport and other data over the charts ?

Felis

High_Flyer

I love flying!
I agree 100% with Andrieu.
Paying for a ICAO chart and not being able to see all VFR reporting points, small airfields is clearly disapointing.
Using the ICAO chart instead of the basic Skyview map is because all pilots learn to fly with these maps in France (and in Europe) and it is a question of habit more than anything else.
It should be easy to program the Skyview to keep all the Pocket FMS data available on the paying ICAO map.
Thank you.

skyview_user

I love TopMeteo
Ok. I think many pilots here in Europe like to fly with the ICAO charts they got used to. What I did was to adapt the look and feel of the pocketFMS data on the Dynon Screens. I had lots of discussions with pocketFMS to do so and in the end it looks very similar to the easyVFR layout. Eventually I use easyVFR for flight planning and can switch seamlessly to the Dynons during flight. Thats a great feature and for me more important than a scanned ICAO chart.

A side effect of the discussion was that we now see the frequencies of the airspaces when tapped.

Tuiliere

flying a RV7 in France.
:-/It is not a simple question of the map appearance ..
Remember we are VFR pilots (in France Experimental Aircrafts are not allowed to IFR or night flights), so we need VFR map. Do you see any significant rivers or roads on the Dynon terrain Map below ? excepted the railroad tracks and some features drawn without beginning or end, this map is very confused and does not allow to make VFR tracking in good conditions. On the ICAO map you can clearly see the rivers, the roads and the cities, it is the perfect card to fly in VFR, but it is necessary that all the available datas are indicated there.
I know many pilots who use the skyview map only for the autopilot and follow their fly plan  on an Ipad ... What a pity not ? http://dynonavionics.com/public_html/yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/undecided.gif

carlp101

Smoke me a kipper. I'll be back for breakfast!
I have been flying for over a year with SV, paid for PocketFMS data and an ICAO chart and had the same problems you are all experiencing. I tried flying without the chart, but found that the way Dynon rendered some of the map objects was difficult to see. The airspace colours and designs were also not the same as on the printed maps. So, I had a play with the map rendering settings and came up with a much clearer way of rendering the map objects. See the link below for the topic "Changing The Standard Airspace Colours" where I show what I did and the results.

http://dynonavionics.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1484509086/7#7

skyview_user

I love TopMeteo
It is not a simple question of the map appearance ..
Remember we are VFR pilots (in France Experimental Aircrafts are not allowed to IFR or night flights), so we need VFR map. Do you see any significant rivers or roads on the Dynon terrain Map below ? excepted the railroad tracks and some features drawn without beginning or end, this......
I think it depends on your mission. I'm also flying VFR only, but with 160kts. I'm interested in airspaces, VRPs, and airfields for emergency landings. The depiction of rivers etc. could be improved, no question, but airspaces are much more relevant, at least for my mission profile. If you fly across borders an ever differently looking ICAO chart is also problematic. To mix a (bitmap) ICAO chart with a different source of data like vector data from pocketFMS may also be not the best idea.