PocketFMS for Australia

rgmwa

I love flying!
Question for Jake at Dynon (I was told Jake is the go-to guy for Dynon issues downunder). I'm building an RV-12 and PocketFMS is suggested by Dynon as an alternative database for non-US customers. However OzRunways is a very popular flight planning software package in Australia, and is CASA approved. Would it be suitable as an alternative to PFMS? Would PFMS do a better job?
Thanks in advance.
rgmwa

Jamie

hello rgmwa,

i have dual 10" skyviews with the jepp database, it is the same database as pocketFMS.
I use my Ozrunways 100% as its casa approved, ( digital Maps)
I use skyview as my backup, on a long trip, i will setup skyview with a flight plan, but mostly just set the track bug an use the autopilot. ( Track data from Ozrunways )

rgmwa

I love flying!
Thanks Jamie. Seems like just about everybody uses OzRunways these days. Sorry to sound so ignorant, but what product/service do you have/use to download the Jepp database to Skyview and keep it current? And why Jepp rather than PFMS?
Cheers
rgmwa

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Jepp has their own program, called JSUM, that's used to get data from their servers to your USB memory stick. PocketFMS has a web-based download.

In general, Jepp generally has more 'authoritative' data (ie, officially sourced, verified etc), but PocketFMS has more of the smaller, private, and unofficial airports that sport GA pilots typically use (because their staff of GA pilot types can feed in reports from you, their customers, about data that ought to be in their database that isn't already). I'm more familiar with EU and Canada comparisons, so I'll let the Australians speak to their experience in that part of the world.

rgmwa

I love flying!
Thanks Dynon. That's given me a clearer idea of how it all works.
rgmwa

jakej

Rgmwa.
Sorry i couldn't reply earlier, was preoccupied with finishing an RV10 (dual SV10's & VP-X) & doing the first test flight of it.   ;)

Thanks for the 'vote of confidence'.  What Jamie says makes sense however for VFR I'd be using Pocket Fms for the reasons that Dynon alludes to & it's much cheaper - gotta be happy with that  ;D

Cheers, Jake

rgmwa

I love flying!
First flight in an RV-10?  OK, you're off the hook. :) Thanks for the info. Cheaper is good, so I'll go with PFMS.
Cheers
rgmwa

flyingboy

FWIW i use pocket FMS in Aus and love it my screens work a treat. i also have AV plan on my ipad which is also great

Cheers Hugh

rgmwa

I love flying!
Thanks Hugh. I'll probably go with OzRunways on an iPad/iPod eventually. Got to finish the plane first though.
rgmwa