Power Conditioning

cfiidon

I am installing a Flightdek D180 in my RV-8. I have the back-up battery option. Does Dynon or anyone else have an opinion as to the utility of a power stabilizer, such as TCWs IPS.
What I've gleaned from the forum so far is that the D180 is very robust and the internal battery handles brown-outs. How about spikes, surges, yada yada yada? Money well spent or money down the drain?

Here's the link for the power stabilizer:

http://www.tcwtech.com/IPS-12v.htm

Don

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Don,
We do not recommend anything between any of our products and the aircraft bus. The power supplies in all Dynon products are tested to RTCA specs for 28V aircraft (just like all certified equipment such as the 430 is), which requires operation at 60V for short periods of time. This is double the protection you need on a 12V plane. This means that we can be on during engine crank, and the vast majority of Dynon owners do have the equipment on during crank. We've never once heard of this damaging a unit.

On top of that, many of our products will run down to or below 5V, so an external device that shuts off at 5V may make our product less usable. If a customer does see a reboot on a Dynon EMS, it does mean the voltage to it dropped below 5V at some point.

For people planning future panels, a product like this will play havoc with the way SkyView does it's power management. Since SkyView intelligently manages the load on the battery in order to not draw excess power when the alternator is not on line, not load the bus when the engine is cranking if a battery is installed, and other neat features. Plus, the SkyView will happily run from 3V all the way up to 45V, which is much greater than the range of this product.