% Power with v5

davemgill

In the release notes for v5.0 it states:

Improved: Modified percent power calculation for Lycoming and Continental engines to account for engine RPM red line, not compression ratio. When EMS > SETUP > GLOBAL > ENGINE TYPE is set to LY/CON, then the Tachometer HI RED/YEL parameter is factored into the percent power calculation. See: EMS > SETUP > SENSORS > TACHOMETER > HI RED/YEL.

I have an IO-320 which is rated at 160HP @ 2700rpm however I have a Sensenich prop which required a 2600rpm limit. Therefore I have 2600 set for HI RED/YEL. Will there be any change to the % power reading with the new firmware?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Hmm, that's an interesting question. It depends on how you want to interpret 100% HP.

Given the 2600 RPM restriction, your engine can never hit 100% rated HP. But 100% power for your powerplant as a whole can be reached.

With the new software, we'd show 100% power at sea level on a standard day at 2600 RPM. If you revved above 2600, we'd show higher than 100%. So the % power is now accurate for your prop/engine combo, but not accurate against the rated HP of the engine.

To answer the basic question, yes, this will change the resulting % power against the older software. We used to assume a 2700 RPM redline. But you may actually consider this new number to be more accurate overall.

davemgill

Personally I would like to see it as % of rated power even though I know I could never get 100%

For example I use the % power to make sure I don't lean too much when the power is > 75%. I guess with v5 it will still be safe as 75% indicated will actually be lower than the rated 75% power.

Maybe it could be configurable in a future release.

Regards
Dave