Problem with Van's RV10 and Dynon AP (Skyview)

caio.fly

I love flying!
I am instaling a new panel in my RV10, it will be 2 Skyviews D1000 and I want to use the Dynon AP.

The technician said to me that the Dynon AP it given a lot of problems, even when using the SV-42T servos. He said it's probably due to the weight of this ACFT. In a lighter ACFT like RV9 it's perfect.

For me it would be very important to be able to use Dynon AP once I have 2 Skyviews in front of me but I also don't want problems like disengaging in the middle of a flight...

What do you guys think about this ? What should I do to be safe ?

airguy

There is a long history of RV10's with Dynon autopilots, and I don't see the problems with them that your friend is talking about. Perhaps he just doesn't like Dynon?

preid

Your technician isn't up to speed on Dynon. Sure there was an issue initially with the strength of the Servos on the RV-10 but, like Dynon support, they acknowledged it and resolved it with a stronger torque. I am assuming that was the reference from your tech? Rest assured the Autopilot and pretty much anything Dynon sells is solid. If there is an issue they will address and replace/fix as needed, at no cost to you.
I had an issue with the expert mode of the Autopilot, the issue is I like the basic mode so much for what I do that I haven't taken advantage of learning all the features, which pretty much cover an IFR pilot's demands.
In short, there isn't anything I can think of that would tell you to get another Autopilot, if anything the Dynon Autopilot is physically capable of handling the -10 and mentally will reduce your workload significantly, as a good autopilot should.

diablouser

I love flying!
The system in my -10 works great.  It had a slight problem with heavy turbulence with the elevator servo.  When it was over one year old, I called Dynon and they traded me my SV-42 for a SV-42T with higher torque at no cost.  Problem solved.  The 42T is their recommended servo for the -10 elevator servo now, I don't think it was when I purchased my system. 

Only issue I have is the auto trim function is missing unless you buy the remote AP controller.  I am hoping, and pleading that they put together an box that just contains auto trim. 

Bruce Patton

Carl_Froehlich

Four years with a dual SkyView install using the Dynon AP servos. No issues.

As previously stated - find a new technician. For that matter, why are you not just installing this yourself?

Carl

woxofswa

I've got 250 hours on my Dynon AP in my -10 and it works great. I would have zero hesitation using it in another -10 build.
The only issue that I have found a couple of times is with an aft cg and less than smooth air, it will sometimes wander a bit left and right in either HDG or NAV. I have found that if I disconnect the autopilot, carefully re-trim everything manually including fuel balance, and then reconnect the auto pilot, it tracks rock solid once again.

preid

I have had my AP tell me to trim in aft and fore, It even had me trim for one side or the other once when I was testing the new implementation. You shouldn't need to retrim to resolve your issue, AP should tell you what needs to be trimmed. I finally got out yesterday and I too saw the HDG change but that was due to winds and AP compensation to keep the route on the magenta.
Check out page 179 of User Guide to see indications I am referring to.

woxofswa

I know how the trim alerting system works. I'm just saying from experience that sometimes it gets itself in a mode where it wanders a bit laterally and how I've been able to get it back to tracking dead straight again. I have spring bias rudder trim that the Dynon doesn't even know about.

The 10 does seem a little sensitive to lateral balance. Everything works better when the fuel is tightly balanced and the lightest backseater is behind the heaviest frontseater.

preid

I don't have any of these issues was my point, whenever there is any trim (CG) issue the AP has called for it. I have aileron and elevator trims and the tab on the rudder. I'll look closer next time to see if it stays on course consistently, maybe you're right, but it seems to me that your lateral settings on the AP may need "tuning" via the AP in flight guide. I recall I too had this, and other, issues and I fixed it by readjusting the settings. http://www.dynonavionics.com/downloads/Install_Guides/SkyView_Autopilot_In-Flight_Tuning_Guide-Rev_B.pdf
I don't use my AP much, flying the -10 is too much fun so usually hand fly it, but there have been those occasions where I really needed a reliable AP and my confidence on it being rock solid and not wandering has always proven true. I did need to tune it to get it to this point however.