procedure turns and holds?

HXG

I love flying!
I just had a garmin GTN650 and 2 new dynon skyviews installed in my RV8. I've been able to have the autopilot fly a short flight plan and straight in RNAV and ILS approaches (without vertical guidance yet) but not sure how to get the autopilot to fly a procedure turn, hold or missed approach. Any advice or tips? Thanks

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We're not experts on the GTNs by any means - we'll let other customers pick that part off. But one thing to know is that fundamentally, the autopilot will fly the needle and guidance on the HSI when the GTN is the source. From there, it's a matter of making sure that the guidance that the GTN is giving reflects the turn/hold/missed approach.

HXG

I love flying!
Thanks for responding. I need to experiment some more with the GTN 650 but my first practice approach attempts, which were near straight-in to the IAF, did not cycle to a procedure turn/course reversal as I had previously experienced with the G430. User error I'm sure but I'll have to play around with the GTN to make sure the AP will fly the PT or Hold. Keep working on the APPROACH mode with vertical guidance and chart plates ASAP-A Must for IFR! Love the skyview.Thanks

cjhukill

Just go and buy a 10 inch Galaxy tablet($350) and get the free approach plates from Fltplan.com. Put that on a kneeboard and save your screen real-estate for more important stuff.