Remote AOA indicator

maus92

I love flying!
Is there any way to add an AOA repeater driven by the Skyview system? I'd like to have an AOA indicator in my field of view (like on the glareshield/windscreen post) when landing.

southtarnation

I love flying! Wiring, ...not so much.
Is there any way to add an AOA repeater driven by the Skyview system?  I'd like to have an AOA indicator in my field of view (like on the glareshield/windscreen post) when landing.

Me too.

vlittle

I developed a remote indicator for the D10a. It sold in reasonable volumes, but I discontinued it.

My experience with my own product (and referred to by Paul Dye's article on AoA in KitPlanes magazine), is that a visual indicator of this type did not enhance flight safety.

Instead, the progressive audio provided by the D10a (and SkyView) provided a much better alerting system. A visual display only works if you are looking at it; an audio indicator works when you are distracted or focused on another target or touchdown point.

The only downside of the audio alarm for AoA is that some nervous passengers get worried about noises in the cockpit.

Vern (Vx-Aviation/MakerPlane)

jnmeade

This is from Wikipedia, so is somewhat suspect, but it summarizes one of my interests in AOA indicators and why I'd thought one in an optimum field of view might be useful.

"In takeoff and landing operations from short runways, such as Naval Aircraft Carrier operations and STOL back country flying, aircraft may be equipped with angle of attack or Lift Reserve Indicators. These indicators measure the angle of attack (AOA) or the Potential of Wing Lift (POWL, or Lift Reserve) directly and help the pilot fly close to the stalling point with greater precision. STOL operations require the aircraft to be able to operate close to the critical angle of attack during landings and at the best angle of climb during takeoffs. Angle of attack indicators are used by pilots for maximum performance during these maneuvers since airspeed information is only indirectly related to stall behaviour."